Thursday, November 13, 2014

My Choices for Literary Movement Reading Challenge 2015




When I said in Literary Movement Reading Challenge 2015 announcement post that “I have a very ambitious plan”, I really meant it! The challenge is to read at least one book for each literary movement, but I have encouraged myself to read, not one, but TWO books, which means I would read TWENTY FOUR books for the challenge.

The reason is, I have been craving lately for filling my mind with classics. Maybe it’s because I have read a lot of non-classics books lately. Anyway, here is my ambitious list, right now I can’t wait to start this challenge; hopefully my craving lasts till the end of the challenge… ;)

Jan: Medieval (500 – 1500)
Confessions (St. Augustine Hyppo)
Le Morte d’Arthur (Thomas Malory)

Feb: Renaissance (1500 – 1670)
Doctor Faustus (Christopher Marlowe)
Macbeth (William Shakespeare)

Mar: Enlightenment (1700 – 1800)
Gulliver’s Travels (Jonathan Swift)
The Sorrows of Young Werther (Goethe)

Apr: Romanticism (1798 – 1870)
Ivanhoe (Sir Walter Scott)
The Black Tulip (Alexandre Dumas)

May: Transcendentalism (1830 – 1860)
The Walden (Henry David Thoreau)
Little Women (Louisa May Alcott)

Jun: Victorian (1837 – 1901)
Bleak House (Charles Dickens)
Far From A Madding Crowd (Thomas Hardy)

Jul: Realism (1820 – 1920)
Pere Goriot (Honore de Balzac)
The Golden Bowl (Henry James)

Aug: Naturalism (1870 – 1920)
The Fortune of the Rougons (Emile Zola)
Ethan Frome/The Age of Innocence (Edith Wharton)

Sep: Existentialism (1850 – Today)
Crime and Punishment (Fyodor Dostoyevsky)
The Stranger (Albert Camus)

Oct: Modernism (1910 – 1965)
The Sound and the Fury (William Faulkner)
For Whom the Bell Tolls (Ernest Hemingway)

Nov: The Beat Generation (1945 – 1965) or
The Bloomsbury Group (1903 – 1964)
Bloomsbury: Howard’s End (E.M. Forster)
Beat Generation: One Flew Over The Cuckoo’s Nest (Ken Kessey)

Dec: Post-Modernism (1965 – Today)
Slaughterhouse-Five (Kurt Vonnegut)
The Blind Assassin (Margaret Atwood)

What about you? Are you tempted to join the challenge? And if you have, what books will you read?

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Fanda, Great list! I will share mine by December. I saw that we both have Walden in May and Sound and the Fury in October. I also added Bleak House to my June and Howard's End to my November. I also hope to read The Fortune by Zola in August.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay...it will be fun to read along those titles with you, and analyse together the literary movements.

      Good luck with Fortune! I wanted so much to reread Germinal for August. But I would also read some Zola on April (if I can make it along the books for #LitoveRC). Maybe Pot-Luck (which is the shortest of Rougon-Macquarts that I own) and Zola's biography. Oh....2015 will be so exciting!

      Delete
  2. Outstanding reading list! This is a challenging challenge--I tend to read a lot in the Victorian and Naturalism movements, but far less so in other areas. I'm currently reading Germinal and finding it much easier to read than expected--the translation I have makes it sound very modern. Coincidentally, I'm also currently reading Howard's End, which is so good--beautifully written.

    Good luck with your challenge. As a classics read, I can honestly say I'm rarely disappointed in a book that has stood the test of time.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?