Saturday, March 30, 2024

Six Books Saturday #8: Favorite Émile Zola's Books




#SixBooksSaturday
is my personal monthly bookish meme, inspired by Six Words Saturday, which I've stumbled upon @ Travel with Intent. It's basically to list six books of random category, which I'd decided on the spot. Anything is possible according to my whim. I post Six Books Saturday on last Saturday of each month. If you're interested, you are, of course, welcomed to join me. There's no rule, really. You can post six anything about books.


As Zoladdiction 2024 will begin in two days, it's more than appropriate, methink, to soft-kicking it off by sharing some of my favorites from the Rougon-Macquart cycle. I have read all but one from the series (I couldn't get through with Doctor Pascal - yet) - and even read some of them more than once. So, without further ado, here's my...

SIX FAVORITES FROM ÉMILE ZOLA

1. Germinal

I might have said this over and over again, that Germinal is my all time favorite - not only of Zola, but of all. It has all the elements of what a good book is supposed to be. Here's my first and second review. I'm currently listening to the audiobook for Zoladdiction, let's see what I'll think of Germinal after the third read!


2. L'Assommoir

This one is the most mind-blowing for me. Maybe because it was my first introduction to the Rougon-Macquart. But L'Assommoir is also the most picturesque in the series.


3. La Bete Humaine

Another picturesque book from Zola's bibliography, so vivid and beautiful! And it is dear to me especially since is talks about kind and evil in human being, a topic which I have interest in. Here are some posts which I have dedicated for this book.


4. The Conquest of Plassans

Another masterpiece from Zola, with a surprising twist in the end and a great momentum building. My review.


5. The Ladies Paradise

Who would have thought that Zola would write something with a love story, and a happy ending? Yes, a happy ending - a rare occurrence if you read Zola's. It is the lightest of the Rougon-Macquart and actually quite a fun read! Review of my second reading (listening from the audiobook).


6. The Fortunes of the Rougons

It's the first of the series/cycle, and you know how it usually is - laying the background, foundation, and all. It is also a remarkably entertaining story with various plots following several characters. Some of them would also appear in later books. I have read it first in 2015, then reread it in 2020.


Have you read any of them? Which one is your favorite? If you haven't, which one would you like to read first? You can join us in Zoladdiction 2024 and read it to celebrate Zola's birthday!


Next Six Books Saturday: 27th April 2024.

4 comments:

  1. I eagerly devoured L'Assommoir, my first Zola, a few years ago. I'd like to read more. Thanks for sharing this list of your favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read two books by Zola: Nana and The Ladies Paradise. And I enjoyed them both, though The Ladies Paradise was my favorite. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read as many of the series as you Fanda, but Germinal is still the pick of the bunch. I also loved L'Assommoir and Le Ventre de Paris. I think of Nana fondly too as it was my very first Zola.
    Looking forward to reading Une Page d’amour this year (and glad it is one of the slimmer volumes as we are moving house at the end of April).

    ReplyDelete
  4. So far I've only read Germinal which I liked very much; looking forward to trying more by him this year--perhaps the Ladies Paradise--one can always do with a 'happy' book!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?