Monday, May 7, 2018

Zoladdiction 2018 Wrap Up



My most anticipated reading event: #Zoladdiction2018 has ended last week. I would like to thank all participants for reading Zola with me, and sharing the fun.

On my side, it has been a productive and enjoyfull month. I read two novels from the Rougon-Macquart series: A Love Story and The Sin of Abbé Mouret. The reading turned to be more fun with #ZolaStyle (capturing Zola's vivid pictorial landscapes within his prose). If I had had more time, I might post another one from A Love Story. Actually I have collected one or two garden paintings for it, but with this and that, I have failed to post it on time.

Apart from the reading and sharing, I have also managed some #Zolashopping 😉, i.e. ordering a copy of The Disappearance of Emile Zola by Michael Rosen and the newest translation of His Excellency Eugene Rougon from Oxford World Classics. It has been my habit for years to shop for more Zolaish book during Zoladdiction, because at that moment (more than any other months) I will be intrigued to know about Zola (or crave for his books).

So, #Zoladdiction2018 has been a success this year. At least there are few new comers, who, I hope, will continue being intrigued by Zola! 😃

As promised, #ZolaStyle came with a giveaway. It's not popular, it turned out (only Brona and I participated), but I enjoyed Brona's posts, especially the one on Bois de Boulogne (from The Kill). As appreciation of Brona's efforts (though I don't believe it's an effort on her part 😏), she won Zola's book(s) of her choice for max. USD 20 from Book Depository. I'll contact her soon about this.

Last but not least, I thank you all for participating, and see you again next year on next Zoladdiction!


8 comments:

  1. I loved the Zolastyle posts - they added so much to my enjoyment of the book - I’ll be doing it for future reads!! As you guessed it wasn’t a chore at all & im thriller to be your winner ��

    My only wish is that I’d had more time to read a second Zola, but my Japan trip took priority this year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Congatulation Brona! And I'm glad you liked it and planned to do it for future reads. I think I might join you! :)

      Delete
  2. Thanks for hosting this, Fanda! I haven't been the most diligent of participants (I am still reading The Kill and will finish soon!!) but I've enjoyed following your Zola posts, and this has inspired to me learn more about French history through his writing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay... I'm glad you enjoyed Zoladdiction. Thanks for participating, Marian! I 'd love to meet you again next year.. ;)

      Delete
    2. It's late, but I finally got around to talking about my thoughts on The Kill - in fact I did an episode on Zola for my podcast: https://classicsconsidered.blogspot.com/2018/05/empire-and-extravagance-reading-emile.html

      :)

      Delete
    3. That's great, Marian! I'll take a look at it next week! I'm glad you have found Zola, and I hope you've had a good time with him, and will keep reading more from him.

      Delete
  3. Hey, it wasn't as unpopular as you thought - I joined in too but forgot all about sign ups. Only read the one book - Fruitfulness, and afraid I wasn't a fan. I think it may soon be time for me to read the Rougon Macquarts again! Thanks for hosting :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! I've been wondering why you didn't show up, o! I have read your review of Zola's short story recently, where you mentioned a bit about Fruitfulness. I don't think I'll ever read it, for it might annoy me. Yeah, in the end, the Rougon Macquarts is perhaps his best. I myself would love to reread it from the beginning after I read them all.

      Thanks for participating silently ;)

      Delete

What do you think?