Wednesday, November 21, 2018

The Classics Club Spin – My Comeback!



==UPDATE==

My spin book is number 1: One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest!


--------------

I have just realized that my last Classics Club Spin was: Five. Years. Ago! I almost didn’t believe it. How could I take so long a break from one of the coolest events of The Classics Club? I can only blame it on my everlasting tight schedules and the too-many-things-on-my-plate. But it will change now. For the first time after five years, I will be taking The Classics Club Spin, YAY!

Rule of the game:
At your blog, before next Tuesday 27th November 2018, create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list. On Tuesday 27th November, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List, by 31st January, 2019.

The idea this time is daring us to tackle huge (chunkster) books which we have been neglecting so far. My list of the second round is quite random, as it consists of many out-of-my-comfort-zone books. Thus, for this spin, I opt to list these books, along with some books I've been waiting or curious to read for some times. Here they are:

1. One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest by Ken Kessey
2. The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner
3. This Earth of Mankind by Pramoedya A. Toer (the only Indonesian lit on my list)
4. The Beautiful and Damned by F. Scott Fitzgerald
5. The Deerslayer by James Fenimore Cooper
6. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe
7. Persuasion by Jane Austen
8. North and South by Elizabeh Gaskell
9. Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
10. Pilgrim's Progress by John Bunyan
11. Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier
12. The Warden by Anthony Trollope
13. The Crucible by Arthur Miller
14. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
15. Hard Times by Charles Dickens
16. The Glass Menagerie by Tennessee Williams
17. All the Pretty Horses by Cormac McCarthy
18. O Pioneers! By Willa Cather
19. Othello by William Shakespeare
20. The Red Badge of Courage by Stephen Crane

Based on my list, which number do you wish I get? :) I hope it would be number 3—as I am most excited to read the book (yeah… I haven’t read the number one classic from my own country—shame on me!) before the movie adaptation is released on 2019.

20 comments:

  1. I've read a few of these but not This Earth of Mankind - that sounds interesting so I hope you get that too! Other than that - Hard Times. It's great and I think you'll love it (I want to re-read it soon). I love Rebecca too, but I know that one divides people.

    I must do my list at some point today...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I've been dying to read Hard Times, but the perfect time to read Dickens is always December; so if the spin picks 15, I'll have a good excuse to read it sooner, ha! :P

      And now you intrigued me with Rebecca, too! :)

      Delete
  2. So many excellent books, and quite a few I’ve not yet read myself. North & South and Persuasion are absolute winners.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't got chance to read Gaskell -- this would be the perfect excuse to start. ;)

      Delete
  3. So much variety on this list - in topic and length! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep... in that way, my CC list really becomes a challenge! ;)

      Delete
  4. I'm so glad we tempted you back Fanda. I love Their Eyes Were Watching God once I got into it - Janie's voice is still with me years later.

    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard many praises to Their Eyes, and now you. Hopefully it goes well with me. :)

      Delete
  5. You need to share the number one classic from Indonesia with others of us from the Classics Club. I love to read literature from places around the world. I hope you draw the book you want!

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will, Deb! Actually I have decided, that even if I didn't draw it, I will still read it right after the spinned book. Anyway, thanks for the encouragement.. :)

      Delete
  6. Nice variety on the list, where I see some of my favourite authors, like Austen and du Maurier. Good luck with your number.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Lisbeth, thank you. I am looking forward to read Rebecca & Persuasion too.

      Delete
  7. I've never read the Deerslayer -- one JFC was enough for me. And I hope never to read Faulkner again. So I hope you get Toer, or Cather, or Hurston. Those are all great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the problem with JFC is his writing? I struggled too when first reading The Last of the Mohicans, but after a while, when I got used to it, he was actually quite good in telling the story. Plus I have a soft spot for Indians, so it was enjoyable for me. Now I'm curious to know whether I'd still enjoy the Deerslayer.

      Delete
  8. Good luck Fanda with your comeback Spin. You have some great books on your list. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jessica! Seems that CC Spin always pull out great books to our radar.. ^_^

      Delete
  9. I'm pulling for #1 now because I'll be interested in your thoughts on Cuckoo's Nest (plus, it's what I most want on my own list). Enjoy Fanda.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! That's one of few I dreaded most. But that's what CC Spin is for, I guess.. :D

      Delete
  10. This is a great list! So many books I've enjoyed on it. I don't know much about One Flew Over a Cuckoo's Nest, though, but hopefully you'll enjoy it. Too bad you didn't get 3, but hopefully you can find time to read it soon, too. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Amanda. I do plan to read no. 3 as well, as Cuckoo's Nest is quite light. I think I'll manage to read those two on January.

      Enjoy yours too! :)

      Delete

What do you think?