Thursday, November 15, 2018

Possession by A.S. Byatt


Confession: I have always thought that A.S. Byatt is a man. Silly me! When started reading Possession, I still had no idea what I would face. As the story unfolding, I have felt it a bit odd that a man should write so femininely a prose. Then I googled about the book; and only then I realized that A.S. is actually Antonia Susan. Byatt is a woman!

When I said Byatt wrote 'femininely', it is partly due to the amount of poems scattered throughout the book, and partly because both poems and prose were thick with feminism. 

Possession is a kind of literary detective. Two modern young scholars investigate an unknown love affair of two fictional Victorian poets: the famous Randolph Henry Ash and the unknown—albeit as talented as her lover—Christabel LaMotte. Roland Mitchell—a scholar who is obsessed with R.H. Ash—has accidentally found draft of letters slipped inside an ancient book. They were written by Ash (a married man) to a mysterious woman, indicating a love interest. Roland’s investigation leads him to LaMotte's distant relative who is also an established scholar on the poetess: Maud Bailey. The pair studies tons of letters, poems, and diary entries of and about Ash and LaMotte, to unveil the mystery. But it turns out they are not alone, their colleagues seem to be attracted to the mystery also, and compete with them to find what was believed as the key evidence of the love affair: a letter buried in Ash's wife's coffin. Parallel with the investigation, the readers follow also the lives and struggles of Roland and Maud (and their blooming love).

I can't say I enjoyed Possession very much. The combination of metaphysic, poetry, and feminism is not my cup of tea. I skipped most of the poems (it's long and blubbering - for me at least, because I had no idea what those are about).  What I could enjoy was only the fast-paced literary investigation and a bit spark of attraction in Roland's and Maud's relationship. Added with a little twist in the epilogue, this book would have been promising, but, like I said, I just couldn't chew overdoses of feminism. Maybe Byatt is just too sophisticated for me.

3 / 5



8 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure most people skip the poetry, even if they don't admit to it! I find Byatt to be...I don't know, too deliberately super-intellectual for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly I have felt--"too deliberately super-intellectual"--I just couldn't find the words when writing this review. You put it perfectly, Jean. I did feel like Byatt tried too hard to look intelligent; it felt superficial in the end.

      Delete
  2. It's too long ago since I read the book, but I do remember skipping the poetry too. At the time I thought she was trying too hard to be clever but I loved The Children's Book so much when I read it about 6 yrs ago, that I've wondered if I should give Possession another try now that I'm older.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aha! So you felt it too, Brona! It's sad to think that sometimes women must prove that they are more superior than men... :(

      Delete
  3. I kind of struggled with this one, and maybe it was because of the poetry, too. There was one favorite chapter I encountered, and I think it was in the center of the book. Can't remember. But this wasn't a book I kept after I finished reading it. There is a 2002 film version (starring G. Paltrow), and you remind me that I wanted to see it, just for the heck of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. From the three comments so far, I gathered that most people skip the poetry! It's pity, because I felt that understanding the poetry will help me to relate to the book.

      I didn't know there is the movie... might check it someday.

      Delete
  4. I remember really liking this one actually (I read it AGES ago), however I can't actually remember most of it. I'll have to revisit it, it doesn't seem to have made a great impression on me I'm afraid :S

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am curious to know how you'd think about it the 2nd time. What is it about, really?

      Delete

What do you think?