Thursday, October 3, 2024

The Upcoming #1970Club




October is here, and it means that the biannually reading club week is back! These fun weeks of reading are hosted by Simon @ Stuck in a Book and Karen @ Kaggsy's Bookish Ramblings. This time they picked 1970 as the year we will be delving into! I was hoping 1971 would be picked up (it is my birth year), but 1970 is close enough. So, this post is a welcoming the upcoming #1970Club, which will be happening on 14 - 20 October 2024.

I have originally planned to read four books - had been switching off from title to title, but stuck eventually to these four. But, alas, approaching the time I need to start reading, I have only found out that only three were possible. If you haven't known yet, due to my eyesight problem, I've been limiting my reading from e-book and audiobook only. It came much cheaper option too, as I've been struggling for several years to make ends meet. Subscribing to Everand (formerly Scribd.id), therefore, is a Godsend! However, I just learned that at certain point (and I couldn't figure out the threshold), Everand would disabled our access to some titles until the next payment date. We can still access many other titles, of course, but it's still annoying when you have a certain reading plan. Hence, I am forced to abandon my plan of reading The Woods in Winter by Stella Gibbons for #1970Club, for I couldn't find any copy in Google Playbooks either.

But no worry, I still have the other three to have fun with. Actually I have read two of them - and loved them - and am now on the third. I won't reveal the titles yet - you would know only by my reviews when the time come! Meanwhile, here are some books I have read years before, if you need inspiration or encouragement to join the club...


Books published in 1970 that I have read before:

📖 Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee (Dee Brown) - (non fiction) an eloquent history of the American Indian systematic destruction, beginning from Christopher Columbus’ arrival at San Salvador on 1492 to the massacre at Wounded Knee at the end of 1890.

📖 84, Charing Cross Road (Helene Hanff) - (non fiction), a beautiful but unexpected friendship between a freelance writer (Helene Hanff) and a second-hand book dealer in London. Written in correspondence style, it is short but deeply touching.

📖 The Naked Face (Sidney Sheldon) - a crime thriller by the inimitable Sidney Sheldon, read it when in high school or college. Can't remember the story, but it's fast-paced and satisfying.

📖 Passenger to Frankfurt (Agatha Christie) - a Christie I am sure I have read during high school, but as always with her less famous works, I don't remember what it's about. I would've reread it if I had time...

📖 The Second Lady (Irving Wallace) - read this before blogging era, a rather steamy, spy thriller consisting of high-level double identity - an actress substitution with American first lady.

📖 Man, Woman, and Child (Erich Segal) - again, read this before blogging era, and remember nothing of the story. Only remember I have read it because of the title.


If you wish to join the #1970Club, here's the first announcement. All that is required is just reading books published in the year, post your reviews during the week, then submit the link either in Simon's or Karen's blog. Have fun! ;)

3 comments:

  1. Looking forward to finding out the books you've read (and will read) especially if you've loved them!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh no, I am planning to read The Woods in Winter, as I have a print copy from Dean Street Press - but now I feel sorry you can't read it, too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have The Woods in Winter and will probably read that. If I have time perhaps Passenger to Frankfurt. Good luck and have fun!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?