Thursday, December 11, 2014

Back to the Classics Challenge 2015



I hope this would be the last reading challenge I’d participate in 2015! No more temptation, please… Being one of my most favorite reading challenges so far, this time I decided to follow all categories (twelve) for Karen’s Back to the Classics Challenge 2015. Fortunately, I will be reading so many classics next year for my own Literary Movement Challenge anyway, so it’s not too hard to cross-list it with this challenge. I believe next year would be so much fun, and I can’t hardly wait! Yay…

The rules are here, and here are my choices:

  1. A 19th Century Classic – Far from a Madding Crowd by Thomas Hardy
  2. A 20th Century Classic – Howards End by E.M. Forster
  3. A Classic by a Woman AuthorLittle Women by Louisa May Alcott 
  4. A Classic in TranslationPère Goriot by Honore de Balzac
  5. A Very Long Classic Novel Bleak House by Charles Dickens 
  6. A Classic Novella – The Stranger by Albert Camus
  7. A Classic with a Person's Name in the TitleEthan Frome by Edith Wharton
  8. A Humorous or Satirical ClassicThe Canterville Ghost by Oscar Wilde 
  9. A Forgotten ClassicThe Black Tulip by Alexandre Dumas
  10. A Nonfiction Classic The Dreyfus Affair: J’Accuse and Other Writings by Émile Zola
  11. A Classic Children's BookGulliver’s Travels by Jonathan Swift  
  12. A Classic PlayDoctor Faustus by Christopher Marlowe


Would you participate too?


14 comments:

  1. So many great books on your list!! Bleak House and Ethan Frome are two of my all-time favorites! I also loved Howards End -- and I knew I'd see some Zola on your list!!

    Thanks again for signing up for the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course, every year there's got to be one or two (I wish more!) Zola in my lists...
      I've been looking forward to read another Wharton, I keep thinking that she's a female Zola... :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like fun, Fanda! I'm going to be reading Camus' The Plague and Little Women (are you participating in Hamlette's read-along?) so we have a few books or authors in common.

    Ethan Fromme looks so tempting. I need to get back to reading Wharton soon.

    Best wishes for your challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cleo, it'll be fun to read those authors together. I didn't know that Hamlette will be hosting Little Women read along, but I'd read it for Lit Movement Challenge (Trancendentalism on May).

      Good luck with your challenge too! ;)

      Delete
  3. These look great :) I've got The Dreyfus Affair on my list as well - I'm still a little intimidated, but perhaps I'll get to it in 2015...

    Good luck! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to read The Dreyfus Affair for Zoladdiction (besides Germinal), could we read it along? ;)

      Delete
  4. Bleak House and Far From the Madding Crowd are a couple of my favorites. Some of the books on your list I'm not familiar with. I'll be interested to hear more about them as you read them. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so looking forward to finally come to Thomas Hardy. And Bleak House is what I have anticipated the most from Dickens.

      Do you participate in this challenge too, Lois? I'd love to take a look at your list as well...

      Delete
  5. Love your choices. I don't know if these are rereads for you, but I see a couple on here that can go either way for you - either you'll love them or hate them - like The Stranger and Gulliver's Travels. For me, they were bizarre, but still enjoyable. Little Women was certainly pleasant.

    Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. None of these are reread, Ruth. I have expected Camus would be a little bizzare, but I think I must try it anyway. You'll never know, I might have liked it. I felt the same with Little Women, as I didn't quite like Alcott (I only read Eight Cousins so far), but I'm interested in her trancendental thoughts, so....I'd give her another try! ;)

      Delete
  6. I've enjoyed everything I've read by Edith Wharton, especially Ethan Frome which was a stunner of a book. Bleak House is one of my favourite Dickens' books. Love your list.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carol! Edith Wharton would be my next favorite author, and I can't wait to read all her books.

      Delete

What do you think?