Tuesday, December 23, 2014

History Reading Challenge 2014 – Wrap Up



The year 2014 nearly comes to its end…..and so does our sail to the past: History Reading Challenge 2014. This post is my final harbor where I would disembark to the present time. For you who is still catching us up, take your time, the linky will still be opened for at least 18 more days (from the date of this post). You are not required to do a wrap up post, but doing one would be very good to let us know how you have enjoyed our sail.

For my part, I have completed all six books I have intended to read:

Roman Lives by Plutarch
The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli
The Professor and the Madman by Simon Winchester

Surprisingly, I have enjoyed all of them; especially Cicero, Decline and Fall, Professor and Madman, and Bury My Heart. Roman Lives were a bit tedious, but as I love the topic, I enjoyed it nevertheless. The Prince was very interesting; I have even had a good time analyzing it for my WEM project.

In short, every history I have read was a blissful moment for me. I didn’t really expect to love history after this challenge; my first intention was to encourage myself to learn to like history, but I ended up loving it! So, I am very grateful for doing this challenge in the first place, and I also want to thank you all who have been taking this journey with me. It’s been a fun year of challenge!

Don’t forget, there will be two giveaways at the end of the challenge. I decided to extend the deadline for submitting reviews and analysis to January 4th, 2015. I will pick two winners randomly on the 5th. For all of you, who have not posting your reviews and or analysis, please do it when there is still time.

UPDATE

The two winners of the giveaways are:

1. Listra (for review post no. 39 - on linky)
2. Ruth (for analysis post no. 6 - on linky)

Congrats for both winners!

~~~~~~~~~

Last but not least, please share your feelings about this challenge, and books you have read!

15 comments:

  1. Fanda,
    This was my favorite challenge this year. (I was hoping you would do another one for 2015.) I have not eliminated the possibility of tackling another topic of history next year just because I enjoyed this so much. Thanks for hosting.
    ~Ruth

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Ruth! You were awesome too with this challenge.
      Unfortunately I can't stick to one thing for too long. I tend to try something new, and after a while I might want to return to it. I think once I have outchallenged myself, the challenge lost its charm, because I knew I have done it. But I will continue to read history in the future, but not as many as classic novels. :)

      Delete
  2. My wrap-up post is here. Alas, I have failed the challenge. But thank you for hosting it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you too for participating, Hamlette. There's no failure in reading challenge, as you have at least started reading history (which was the main purpose of the challenge). Keep reading! :)

      Delete
    2. You're right! I didn't completely fail :-) And I'll definitely keep reading history.

      Delete
  3. Thanks for hosting this challenge, Fanda. The disappointment that I wasn't able to get to as many history books as I'd planned, emphasized how much I want to read them, so that was a positive realization. I would have liked to see the challenge continue, and probably will continue it myself, slowly but surely. If only there were more time in the day! The second part of the year is less busy so I'll try to fit more history books in.

    I really enjoyed reading all your reviews but I think my personal favourite was The Prince. You gave some great insights that will help me appreciate the book more when I get around to reading it. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Cleo, for participating, and for reading my reviews. Unfortunately, I won't continue this challenge, but I will surely read more history in the future. And I believe you will too. I'm glad that at least this challenge has helped you to be eager to read more history. :)

      Delete
  4. Here's mine! Finished just in time. http://howlingfrog.blogspot.com/2014/12/sail-to-past-challenge-wrapup.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I agree with Cleo--I wish I could have read more!

      Delete
    2. Kudos to you for completing 10 (or 9?) books for this challenge. Congrats, Jean!
      And thanks for having participated in this challenge.

      Delete
  5. Ga selesai baca :( maaf
    https://bacaanbzee.wordpress.com/2014/12/28/history-reading-challenge-2014-wrap-up/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for participating anyway, bzee! Keep reading history! :)

      Delete
  6. Saya sangat menikmati tantangan ini, meski tidak selesai sesuai target. Terima kasih atas challengenya, mbak Fanda. https://foodszone.wordpress.com/2015/01/06/417/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?