Monday, February 20, 2023

Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery: A Review



🧡 Jane Victoria Stuart lived all eleven years of her life with her mother, aunt, and grandmother - the Kennedys - in 60th Gay Street, a respectable house in Toronto. But she always feels she doesn't belong there. The only thing she loves within the house is her mother. She hates everything else, especially the strict and prim of her grandmother, who seems to be jealous because her mother loves Jane. About her father, nobody in 60 Gay Street ever mentions; so Jane assumes he's dead.

🧡 Jane attends St. Agatha's, a respectable school chosen by her grandmother, but she doesn't belong there either. She's nervous and awkward, and seems to be useless at anything she does. And the Kennedys would sneer and laughed at her everytime she blunders, which would make her feel more inferior and miserable than usual. At times like that, her only console are the moon and Jody, an orphaned girl her age who shares her spirit.

"Jane had her own particular reasons for liking to look at the moon . . . and the white blossoming cherry-tree over in the yard of 58. The cherry-tree, with the moon hanging over it like a great pearl, was so beautiful that Jane felt a queer lump in her throat when she looked at it."

🧡 One day, a letter came from Jane's father. Her father, whom she thought was dead, is actually alive, and wants her to spend summer with him in Prince Edward Island! With many doubts Jane came, and found out that his father is an amiable man whom she can actually love and loves her back! He even bought them a charming house in Lantern Hill, where Jane feels belong to for the first time in her life.

🧡
A remarkable change came over Jane as soon as she's found freedom, love, and friendship in Lantern Hill - qualities that she never thought she has in her: courage, strength, and many amazing skills. She even finds comfort in cooking and keeping house for Dad. In short, she seems to have been born in Prince Edward Island - which she actually was!

🧡 Only one thing marred her blissfulness. If only her mother could join them in Lantern Hill! But it's impossible because her mother doesn't have enough 'backbone' to stand up to grandmother, and Dad don't love her anymore. Will her life always be divided into two poles: summer in Lantern Hill and spring to winter in Toronto?

🧡 I haven't read L.M. Montgomery's for a long time (the last one is Anne of Green Gables fourteen years ago), and this one is surprisingly a charming book. I loved Lantern Hill, though I always prefer mountains than beach. And I was amazed by Jane's character development. Jane is a genuinely independent creature, and it is only after letting her free to be herself that she will be blossoming into a great person. Love, freedom, and nature are the most powerful combination!

Rating: 4 / 5


**This is my first entry for We ❤ L.M. Montgomery Week, hosted by Hamlette (Rachel) @ Hamlette's Soliloquy.**

 


19 comments:

  1. I hadn't realized any of L. M. Montgomery books were Toronto-related. I should hunt this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds charming. I've only read The Blue Castle by Montgomery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! I haven't read Blue Castle. My only Montgomery before this was only Anne & the Green Gables.

      Delete
  3. Jane is charming, this book is charming. The moment I remember is Jane leading a lion into a barn - I thought that was a fun scene.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was indeed hilarious! I could imagined how astonished her neighbors were.

      Delete
  4. Great review! I had forgotten those lines about the moon and the cherry tree--so beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Katie. That and all description of Lantern Hill are indeed beautiful and charming, I loved them!

      Delete
  5. I don't think I've read Jane of Lantern Hill--but I'd like to! I really enjoy L. M. Montgomery's lesser-known books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too! Now I'm looking forward to the chance to read Pat of Silver Bush, it sounds interesting.

      Delete
  6. This is one of my favorite L.M. Montgomery books. It's fun watching Jane do all the things she's never been allowed to do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And to find out that she's actually good at it! The freedom is indeed one of the pivotal change in Jane's character.

      Delete
  7. One of my favourite LM Montgomery books. I love again how nature (and love) transform Jane's life!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was astonished to find that I was reading two books with similar themes, one after another: Jane of Lantern Hill, then The Enchanted April. And I loved them both!

      Delete
  8. Not sure if my comment vanished but reposting it. This is one of my favourite LM Montgomery books. I love how the magic of nature (and love) transform Jane's life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, it isn't, but all comments on posts 8 or more days old will have to be approved by me before getting published. It's to reduce spams, as they usually leave comments on old posts.

      Delete
  9. My kids and I love this book too! It's actually their favorite LMM so far. And it's in my top three -- I love Blue Castle best, then Anne of Green Gables, then Jane of Lantern Hill :-) Jane and her father have such a fun and unique relationship, and I love watching her blossom once she is free of her grandmother's restrictiveness. Blue Castle is a lot like this, actually, but with an adult protag, and a romance instead of a father-daughter friendship.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?