Wednesday, February 22, 2023

Judging Book by Its Cover: Jane of Lantern Hill (L.M. Montgomery)



Judging Book by Its Cover is a blog feature where I analyze book cover art, compare it with its content, as well as with covers from few other editions.


Jane of Lantern Hill



For L.M. Montgomery's Jane of Lantern Hill, I read the e-book version from Virago, published in 2014. I loved the modern cover art, with a little girl standing in front of a full-blossoming cherry tree, with a full moon in the background. It's a perfect portrait of this passage:

"She had crept out to have a good look at the full moon . . . Jane had her own particular reasons for liking to look at the moon . . . and the white blossoming cherry-tree over in the yard of 58. The cherry-tree, with the moon hanging over it like a great pearl, was so beautiful that Jane felt a queer lump in her throat when she looked at it."

The girl looks so unhappy, and is searching for a little peace from the moon, which really looks like hanging over the cherry tree like a big pearl. It vividly portrays Jane's unhappiness when staying at her grandmother's house in 60th Gay Street.

However, if you look carefully at the girl, you can see there're still hopes for a brighter future. Her bright face and her clasping hands suggest that hopefulness. She feels alone, but she finds solace in the moon and the cherry tree; they're her temporary friends, until she finds lovely people who'd love and accept her as she is. Well, the pearly moon and the cherry blossoms help adding a touch of gayness to the cover too.

All in all, I love this cover art, modern, beautiful, melancholy, but with a touch of brightness.

Now, let's pick two more cover arts from different editions.


McClelland & Stewart (1st edition), 1937



I'm always curious by first edition of a classic. In this edition, there's the little girl, and the big moon. But what tree is that, with its hanging branches over the girl? I don't like this painting. The night is too dark, despite of the full moon. The tree looks rather ominous; and the girl's gesture seems like she's waiting for someone or something, rather than a lonely or unhappy child. It doesn't look charming at all; and if I was to look at this cover while hunting for a charming book at the bookstore, I won't pick it.



McClelland & Stewart (later edition), 1989



I rather like this one. It's obviously Jane and her father having a picnic during Jane's summer stay at Lantern Hill. They're having a good time, and the overall painting conveys a sense of warmth and coziness. But to me, it’s too straightforward; it lacks the depth and complexity of the story - Jane's struggle, her wonderful personal development after tasting love and freedom.


In the end, to me, the winner is the Virago's cover. It's artistic, beautiful, and true to the story.

What do you think? If you have read the book, which cover art do you think truly represents the story? And if you haven't, which one appeal to you most?


**This is my second entry for We ❤ L.M. Montgomery Week hosted by Hamlette (Rachel) @ Hamlette's Soliloquy **



4 comments:

  1. That first 1937 cover is kind of nice but maybe not the trees, they looked odd.

    I have not seen this second cover but it matches all those other Montgomery covers.

    The Virago one looks good and I like the art style.

    These three does represent the story in some ways.

    The version I really like is the one I own with the cover illustration by Jackqui Oakley from sourcebooks fire. It has a girl looking up and there are two small drawings of a woman and a man and in the middle is a train and beneath it is book title.

    Have a lovely day

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've seen the cover you're talking about. Yes, it represents the whole story, the 'bridge' between Jane's mother and father, and how she longed/dreamed of unite them. It's another great cover art for this book!

      Delete
  2. I also love that Virago cover -- which is good, as it's the edition I have :-) I do like the 1989 pretty well, since it has her Dad on it too, but I don't like Jane's dress at all, it looks too grown-up. And that older one you have here is really weird! What a funky tree.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree, Jane in the 1989 cover isn't Jane that I imagined. I guess you're right, the dress is the problem. Also, who would wear dress like that in summer?

      Delete

What do you think?