Tuesday, February 28, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: Crime Fiction Authors I Love to Read/Re-read



Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, and this week's prompt is... Freebie! I've always been a fan of crime/mystery novels, so this is my...


Top Ten Crime Fiction Authors I Love to Read/Reread


Agatha Christie


Most of my childhood reads were dominated by Agatha Christie. And ever since, I've read almost all of her crime novels. So far, no one has ever surpassed her style in the crime novel universe, and perhaps no one ever will.

Now I am on my way to re-reading all her novels, and starting next year will also read and review all her short stories as stand alone works (not in collections or omnibuses). In short, I might keep reading Christie perpetually during the rest of my life!


Dorothy L. Sayers


Christie's contemporary in the golden-age-of-detective-fiction lore, and are often praised as her equal. But she wasn't! I've only read Whose Body? so far, and although I rather like Lord Peter Wimsey, but I found it rather soulless. But I'm ready to read more of Sayers", who knows, I might like her more some day, though she'll never equal the queen!


Laurie R. King


Confession: I don't really like Sherlock Holmes. He's too dull for my liking. But when Laurie R. King wrote about Holmes from the point of view of Mary Russell - Holmes' apprentice then wife - I actually kinda like him! Maybe Doyle's Holmes is just to masculine. He needs a feminine touch!

I have read about five or six from King's Mary Russell and Sherlock Holmes series, and intend to read more.


Richard Osman


Amateur sleuth and cozy mystery are one perfect combination. Osman's sleuths are extraordinary, four elderly who live in the same retirement community. Unexpected, funny, and sometimes touching. I've read the first of the series: The Thursday Murder Club, and can't wait to read the next book!


Robin Stevens


Another unlikely amateur sleuths in a cozy mystery series from Robin Stevens. It's actually a children (teenager) murder mystery. The sleuths are two schoolgirls in 1930s England. Very refreshing! I've read only the Christmas edition: Mistletoe Murder, but intend to start over from the first book.


Stephanie Barron


OK, one more cozy mystery won't hurt. Barron has impressed me last year with an unusual combo of murder mystery and a famous author. Jane Austen turns sleuth! My first introduction to the Being Jane Austen Mystery series was also the Christmas edition: Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas, and loved it. Can't wait to return to that charming universe!


G.K. Chesterton


The only book from Chesterton I've ever read is The Innocence of Father Brown in 2018. Another of unlikely amateur sleuth, a Catholic pastor! I rather missed him, though I've wished Chesterton had written at least one novel of Father Brown, instead of 53 short stories. But well...


The next three authors are those whose books I've never read, but curious enough to try some day.


Ngaio Marsh


Another confession: until very recently, I've always thought Ngaio Marsh is a male! 😋 Dame Ngaio Marsh was Agatha Christie's contemporary. I've only read one book when I was at high school (don't even remember the title). I wasn't very impressed at that time, but I'm curious to have another try. Have you read her? Any title recommendation?


P.D. James


Another female author from the golden age detective stories era I haven't read, though I've heard a lot of praises for her book. What's your favorite from James?


Jessica Fellowes


The last one is a contemporary cozy mystery author, who is the niece of Julian Fellowes- the creator of Downton Abbey TV series & movie. Since I, for some reasons, will most probably never watch Downton Abbey again, it's a real pleasant to have found a murder mystery with very similar style and period as Downton Abbey. I can't wait to start reading Fellowes's Mitford Mystery series!


Found a favorite authors of yours? Any other crime authors you like that you'd recommend?

39 comments:

  1. I didn't realize Richard Ozmon was an author. I know him from British game shows.

    My TTT list

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't know he's a TV presenter until I googled his photo for this post! A man with many talents indeed.

      Delete
  2. We have a few of the same on this week's list!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh gosh! I've just came back from your block! LOL!

      Delete
    2. Thanks for visiting it! I recommend Murder Must Advertise and The Nine Tailors for Sayers. For me, they were both layered and intelligent. And any of James' are excellent, to my mind!

      Delete
    3. Great! I think I'd probably try Murder Must Advertise. I've read the synopsis, and it seems interesting. Thanks for the recommendation!

      Delete
  3. I really enjoyed Jessica Fellowes Mitford series - and that reminds me that I have a couple to catch up on!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it! I've added the 1st book to wish list ;)

      Delete
  4. Wow, I'm only familiar with Agatha Christie here. Then again not a big fan of the genre, glad to see you're enjoying it. Happy reading! My TTT https://readwithstefani.com/my-top-ten-historical-fiction-book-recommendations/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agatha Christie is the best in this genre, so you don't miss much.. ;)

      Delete
  5. Oh, this is a popular genre! Great idea for a list.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think cozy mysteries are super fun to read. :)

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-xenofiction/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is! It helps me through much difficult times!

      Delete
  7. I've not read any of these, I would like to try Christie as I think it's a bit of a gap in my reading life and I've heard such good things about her books. I've also heard really good things about Richard Osman's books and would like to try them too.
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/02/28/top-ten-tuesday-409/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agatha Christie is a legend; it's hard not to like her. And Richard Osman is brilliant either.

      Delete
  8. I've been meaning to read Father Brown and any of Sayers' novels for the longest time. Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Stephen! Sayers' Lord Wimsey is rather a charming man. Hope you'll like them!

      Delete
  9. I love Agatha Christie, but I don't read mysteries very often. But I do have a friend who loves mysteries, so I'm going to see if I can recommend any of these authors to her!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad if my TTT can give inspirations to others. Hope your friend like them! ;)

      Delete
  10. Agatha Christie has sold more books than any other author for a reason! I'm slowly working my way through her books. I've even found myself reading a few books that feature her as a character.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/favorite-historical-fiction-the-1920s-1930s/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, I think in term of book sales, she only lost to the Bible, right?
      What books feature her as a character? I didn't know they exist, but would love to read one!

      Delete
  11. I love the Being Jane Austen Mystery series! My TTT

    ReplyDelete
  12. A couple of the newer authors I don't know. I'll have to check them out. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Reese! Hope you'll find new favorites from them. ;)

      Delete
  13. Replies
    1. And thanks for stopping by, Deanna, have a nice day! :)

      Delete
  14. I've started to enjoy Agatha Christie's books and so far, I like them.

    I have yet to read a Dorothy Sayer book but I might some day.

    I read one of Laurie King's Mary Russell books and I thought it was dull.

    I may Richard Osman's Thursday Murder Club, the wait list for it at the library is so long.

    Robin Stevens - I read one of her books but I find a certain character treating another character in such bad manners to read the other books in the series.

    I don't have any recommendations since you don't like Sherlock Holmes as that's the only crime/murder mystery I know.

    Have a lovely day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lissa, I'm glad you enjoy Agatha Christie's, she's one of my all time favorites. Laurie King's first books in the series are quite promising, but I agree, the latter are sometimes flat. Maybe that's why I stopped reading her for a long time :))
      Richard Osman's is a thing right now, but I'm not surprised, Thursday Murder Club is wonderful.
      Robin Stevens - I've just read one book, let's see whether I'd still like her after few more. Thanks for the warning, though!

      Delete
  15. I'm with you on Agatha Christie! And it's one of my reading goals this year to read a mystery by both Ngaio Marsh and Dorothy Sayers because I've never read either of them before. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We can read Marsh' together if you like, I've been meaning to.. ;)

      Delete
  16. I'd like to read G.K. Chesterton's work! Here is our Top Ten Tuesday. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Father Brown is more like gentle mystery, but quite charming.

      Delete
  17. I've read quite a few of these authors and like them very much as well. I plan to read the first Jane Austen book by Stephanie Barron soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd like to read the first one too. Hope you'll love it, Cath! ;)

      Delete
  18. I haven't read any of these authors.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I have only read the first two books in Stephanie Barron's Jane Austen series. I really want to read Jane and the Twelve Days of Christmas, so I may read that one out of order.

    I don't have a favorite P.D. James mystery, but I liked all of the earlier books in the Inspector Adam Dalgliesh series. I also liked her brief two book series about Cordelia Gray, although some readers don't like that one as well.

    I have not read Jessica Fellowes series but I have the first book and I am hoping it is very good (because I have been reading a lot about the Mitfords).

    Thanks for visiting my Top Ten post.
    TracyK at Bitter Tea and Mystery

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy, for the suggestions on P.D. James. I will look them up!

      Delete

What do you think?