Wednesday, December 6, 2023

Vittoria Cottage (1949) by D.E. Stevenson #DeanStreetDecember



πŸ’š In this quiet domestic post-war novel, we get acquainted with Caroline Dering, a forty something widow who lives in a rural village of Ashbridge, and the owner of the titular Vittoria Cottage. She is a simple, quiet, and charming woman, doting mother of two daughters and one son.

πŸ’š Caroline's son is in Malaya, serving the British military. Her older daughter, Leda, is nineteen, and in love with Derek, son of the local squire. In this peaceful atmosphere, Caroline's life is suddenly stirred by the arrival of a Robert Shepperton, a widower who is recuperating from war and the loss of his wife and bombed London house. Reluctant at first to accept the fact, Caroline realizes that she is in love with Mr. Shepperton.

πŸ’š Complication arises in the form of Caroline's sister Harriet, a vivacious actress from London, who, soon after her arrival to stay at Vittoria Cottage, falls in love with Mr. Shepperton. It is with anguish that Caroline watches them comfortable in each other's presence. But whom does Robert Shepperton - who always have reasons to visit Vittoria Cottage - really love?

πŸ’š In contrast with these middle-age triangle-love, is Leda and Derek turmoil relationship. Leda is a spoilt girl who must get what she wants, while Derek a lazy chap. They want to get married, but Derek's father and Caroline advise them to wait until Derek finishes his law school (which he hates), and get settled.

πŸ’š My favorite character, excepting Caroline and Mr. Shepperton, is Caroline's son James, who comes home from war midway through the book. He's Caroline dearest offspring, and James is so care and tender towards his mother. I love their relationship. If only every man in the world can treat his mother like James to Caroline, I believe our world would be much better to live in.

πŸ’š All in all, this is a charming and comforting story of domestic life in a rural village after WWII. A perfect vehicle to catch a glimpse of post-war life - the peacefulness of the middle-ages, as well as the restlessness of the youths, all interwoven in one beautiful canvas, skillfully crafted by D.E. Stevenson. A very soothing read for the hustle-bustle of life during the end of year.

Rating: 4,5 / 5

I read this book for:




9 comments:

  1. This does sound promising. I haven't quite figured out what I'll read for Dean Street December yet, but it will probably be a mystery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's perfect to get away from the crazy hectic of December!
      I have read one mystery, and might pick another (if there's still time!)

      Delete
  2. I loved this one and this is a great review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite Stevenson books! I have to admit as a teen I might not have appreciated a middle-aged heroine but I do like them now. And James is indeed a dear. You have probably realized there are two more in this series and the second book is about James. This is one of the few I don't own (I just went to the shelf to check) and now I want to curl up with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I've learned that this is a series right after finishing it. But I think I'll keep the next for next time. I agree about middle-aged heroine; I appreciate and even prefer them more as I'm growing older.

      Delete
  4. I've read a few books by D.E. Stevenson and really enjoyed them. I wish my library had a copy of this one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to read another by Stevenson this year, though I'm still unsure which one - they all look delightful! :D

      Delete
  5. Sounds a lovely read; I have a Stevenson lined up for this month too but a different one. Will keep a look out for this one, though.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?