I have been wanting to do this since early this year; maybe since my Zoladdiction event—which, by the way, I am not going to host for next year. I have been doing this fun reading of Emile Zola for three years, but right now I don’t think I have time & energy to host it. It’s not ended yet, maybe next year it will be back, but for right now I just like to have a quiet event, in which I can still read Zola!... ;)
Belle Époque is forty years of beautiful (or golden) era in France, started from the end of Franco-Prussian War (1871) to the outbreak of World War I (1914). It’s an era of optimism, prosperity, and flourishing of art, architecture, and entertainment—especially in Paris. It’s joie de vivre during French Third Republic. Post-impressionist artists like Monet, Gaugin, Matisse, Rodin, and Picasso belonged to Belle Époque era; so did naturalism authors like Zola, Maupassant, and Proust. It’s also the era of salon music and cabaret (Moulin Rouge!), and the building of Paris Metro and Eiffel Tower. Oh, and don’t forget the infamous Dreyfus Affair! In short, things that made me love Paris, began at the Belle Époque period. How can I not love it?
And now the event…. It’s really simple!
- Read and post as many things from Belle Époque era, and as often as you can, during 2016.
- You can read books from Belle Époque authors, or books about… whatever happened during or about the era. It can be fiction or non-fiction, just whatever you can find.
- Or maybe you just want to decorate your blog by posting Belle Époque paintings? That’s fine too!
- Just don’t forget to submit it to the linky in this post (will be up only on January 1st).
- But first…. Sign up with the linky below!
In my part, I planned to do this:
Emile Zola – Pot Bouille (1882)
Emile Zola – The Ladies’ Paradise (1883)
Guy de Maupassant – Bel-Ami (1885)
Emile Zola – The Dreyfus Affair: “J’Accuse” and Other Writings (1901)
Marcel Proust – Swann’s Way (1913)
Works and some information of Belle Époque artists we rarely heard of. I plan to do this every month (one artist per month).
What are you waiting for? Let’s explore and have fun!....