Tuesday, March 29, 2022

March Wrap Up & Zoladdiction in April


While March is rolling on towards the end, my life in general is a little bit calmer than before. This month I have managed to read three books (which is a bit productive for me), and one of them was a solid five star! (Painting: credit to centuriespast.tumblr.com)


๐Ÿ“š What I've Read in March

I originally picked Go Tell It on the Mountain for March, but changed my mind after reading the synopsis. I thought it's too depressing for my mood, and so opted for something more 'colorful and spicy' - if you know what I mean. Scanning my bookshelves, my eyes finally rested on Wharton's The Custom of the Country. That would be perfect, thought I. And it was!! I loved it immensely. I think it's the best book to read right before the upcoming Zoladdiction. Why? You'll find the answer in my review.

The buddy read of Orang-Orang Bloomington was rather fun (reading with others is always fun), though the book was too gloomy for my present mood. Nevertheless, I'm quite happy for having read it at last.

Last book I've just finished is another Agatha Christie - the second of this year - Murder is Easy. It's a reread, though I remembered nothing from the 1st read. It's another story in the 'amateur detective' line, and although I won't classify it with Christie's great novels, I enjoyed the little village atmosphere with the usual mixture of local doctor, major or colonel, and a spinster. Its end twist also adds another nice element to make it a perfect round up reading experience. (Review will follow).

What about you? How's your March reading? Were you having fun?


Statistics

๐Ÿ“Š Total books read: 7
๐Ÿ“Š Challenge progress:
* 2022 TBR Pile Challenge: 4
* Back to the Classics Challenge 2022: 3
* 2022 Chunkster Challenge: 1

And so, I am now ready to face the new month!


๐Ÿ“š What's happening in April




Zoladdiction 2022 is coming!! I feel awful, though, that I didn't work much to arrange or promote the event. But nowadays I'm constantly feeling exhausted and need more and more time to recover, and reading is my only solace. Maybe reading quietly is the best approach at present.

For Zoladdiction I will reread my second favorite of Zola's Rougon-Macquart series: L'Assommoir. After about ten years, it's exciting to see my impression on this second read.

Zola's short story collection will be my second entry for Zoladdiction. I picked For a Night of Love, rather than

The Attack on the Mill
 which was my original choice, as the latter I've found too dark for my present mood (the first is much shorter too! :P )

If you are interested to read Zola next month, you are welcomed to join us in Zoladdiction 2022. Here's the announcement post for more info and details.

3 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear you've been feeling tired and run down Fanda. I've been struggling with energy levels too of late. But I will be on board for Zoladdiction, though I may not blog about it much. Struggling to find the right words when writing atm!
    Take care of yourself and I'll see you around SM during April :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Brona. I wonder if it's because what happens in the world right now, or is it the current weather? (it's the end of monsoon season here, and the humidity is getting worse - suffocating. Ugh.. how I hate humidity!)

      Thanks for keeping on board for Zoladdiction. It'll be more fun to have someone to read Zola with. It doesn't matter if you don't feel like blogging much - the thought that you keep reading Zola for Zoladdiction just makes me smilling. <3

      Delete
  2. Hi Fanda
    I hope you're feeling better, even though the world still feels crazy!

    I finished reading and reviewing Son Excellence. I really enjoyed it a lot.
    https://bronasbooks.com/2022/04/27/son-excellence-eugene-rougon-emile-zola-zoladdiction/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?