Monday, January 9, 2023

1st Impression on.... A New Blog Feature





Lately I have a bursting energy to blog, so you’ll see several new excited things to come on Fanda Classiclit within this month!

I have a certain reading habit, especially when reading from an author new to me or an intriguing book. I usually form my impression based on the first 50-ish pages of the book. If they fail to impress me, then I will, either dump it altogether, or seek further reasons why continuing would be worth it. That's how this new blog feature: 1st Impression on... came to mind.

How it works

When encountering an intriguing or interesting book (or any book when I feel like it), I will write my first impression of the book, as well as (if any) some related background or facts - or even excerpts - which will further influence my reading.

This feature will serve two purposes:
1. To enhance my own reading experience, and a good reminder of its significance, in case I would find some parts of the book tedious.
2. To simplify my final review, so that I need only to jot down my own thoughts/feelings of the book. Any other important background or related facts, I need only to provide a link to the (earlier) feature post.

I might not use this feature for every book, only when I need or like (read: have time😋) to.

My first post will be of a book I'm reading right now. It's very interesting. Wait for it in a few days!

In the meantime, you might have noticed (or remember?) another blog feature I have started a long while ago: Classic Character (you can see the banner on the sidebar). It's analysis of interesting character(s) from books I've been reading. Tell me if you find some characters you've liked (or disliked)! 😉

Other new features in this Fanda Classiclit:
* Blogger-Inspired Wishlist
* Judging Book by Its Cover (coming soon)

2 comments:

  1. Fifty pages is somehow a good number, isn't it? I don't like to punt on anything until I've read at least fifty pages, and that should be enough for an author to give you a sense of where it's going.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! If an author fails to impress me after fifty pages, it's most likely I'm not going to like it. So, it's a fair chance for the author without wasting too much of my time. Everyone's happy!

      Delete

What do you think?