Thursday, January 5, 2023

Blogger-Inspired Wishlist, Ep. 1: Christmas Edition


 

Blogger-Inspired Wishlist is a new feature in Fanda Classiclit, where I post recent additions to my wish list, which have been inspired by reviews from my fellow bloggers. It includes some synopsis, as well as some excerpts of the review which have intrigued me, complete with a link to the blogger's original post.

The first episode is Christmas edition; I've added three Christmas books to my wish list, ready for next Christmas reading!

The Best Christmas Pageant Ever by Barbara Robinson


 
Synopsis:

It follows the outrageous shenanigans of the Herdman siblings, or “the worst kids in the history of the world.”

Ralph, Imogene, Leroy, Claude, Ollie, and Gladys Herdman are an awful bunch. They set fire to Fred Shoemaker’s toolshed, blackmailed Wanda Pierce to get her charm bracelet, and smacked Alice Wendelken across the head. And that’s just the start! When the Herdmans show up at church for the free snacks and suddenly take over the Christmas pageant, the other kids are shocked.

It’s obvious that they’re up to no good. But Christmas magic is all around and the Herdmans, who have never heard the Christmas story before, start to reimagine it in their own way.

From Joel's review:

"... I read this book in less than an hour. While it’s quite funny, I found the book to also be a touching reminder of the true meaning of Christmas."

This would be a delightful and inspiring read!

 

A Country Christmas & Other Christmas Stories  by Louisa May Alcott
Inspired by: Joseph @ The Once Lost Wanderer 



 A short story collection with eleven Christmas stories.

 Table of content:

 • Merry Christmas • A Christmas Dream and How It Came True • Becky's Christmas Dream • Kitty's Class Day • Rosa's Tale • Tilly's Christmas • The Abbot's Ghost, or Maurice Treherne's Temptation • What the Bell Saw and Said • A Christmas Turkey, and How It Came • The Little Red Purse • A Country Christmas

Actually Joseph only read one short story: A Country Christmas, but I found this collection in Google Play Book, and thought, why not? It seems a perfect Christmas read!

From Joseph's review:

"She creates interest and empathy for her characters and paints picturesque visions of the quaint countryside with mere words:

It was very lovely on the hill, for far as the eye could reach lay the wintry landscape sparkling with the brief beauty of sunshine on virgin snow. Pines sighed overhead, hardy birds flitted to and fro, and in all the trodden spots rose the little spires of evergreen ready for its Christmas duty. Deeper in the wood sounded the measured ring of axes, the crash of falling trees, while the red shirts of the men added color to the scene, and a fresh wind brought the aromatic breath of newly cloven hemlock and pine.

It was very sweet, very poignant, very enjoyable."

Well, how can one not love it already?

 

A Child's Christmas in Wales by Dylan Thomas
Inspired by: Robin @ A Fondness of Reading



 Synopsis:

Originally emerging from a piece written for radio, the poem was recorded by Thomas in 1952. The story is an anecdotal retelling of a Christmas from the view of a young child and is a romanticised version of Christmases past, portraying a nostalgic and simpler time. It is one of Thomas' most popular works.

From Robin's review:

"I felt like I was sitting by the fire, being read to, and it made his childhood Christmas memories even more poignant."

Sounds delightful! The e-book copy I've added to my wish list comes with beautiful colorful illustrations too!


So, what do you think of this new feature?


Other blog features that might also interest you:
* Classic Character
* 1st Impression on... (coming soon)

8 comments:

  1. Ahh...thanks for the props Fanda! I know you'll enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely idea! Look forward to future posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Cath! The next post won't be long, as I've seen many interesting books from all bloggers these days.

      Delete
  3. This is an excellent idea. Thank you for this post and I look forward to future posts.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Deb! I'm actually working on the next one! ;)

      Delete
  4. I like this idea too. I am always trying to keep up with which books I have read about that I want to get someday, and where I saw them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Tracy!
      I know, right? Especially after the like of top ten tuesdays and reading challenges posts!

      Delete

What do you think?