Friday, January 13, 2023

Classic Character: Marty South from The Woodlanders (Thomas Hardy)




Marty South might not generally be considered the main character in this book, but for me, she is the center of The Woodlanders. She is the epitome of a true woodlander. She works with tree and woods, and has an amazing skill in making wooden spars, though she must work very hard only to be paid very poorly.

Marty is pictured as no more than nineteen or twenty years old, but poverty and hard working "had forced the provisional curves of her childhood's face to a premature finality." In every aspect of feminine appearance, "she had but little pretension to beauty, save in one prominent particular - her hair. Its abundance made it almost unmanageable."



In short, Marty South is an unattractive woman in the eyes of men. Men tend to treat her as just a worker (one of themselves, perhaps), though no doubt, she is much more talented than most of them. One man she loves, Giles Winterborne (another woodlander), never sets eyes on her, much less saying anything other than business. Her last resort of ever attracting and winning Winterborne's heart is her beautiful hair, but, alas, that too she must sacrifice for money, as her father is ill and can't work. Thus, her final hope is crushed.

To be honest, I admire Marty South. She, who lives in solitude and obscurity, is one of the most courageous female characters I've ever read. Her unrequited love doesn't crush her. She keeps working hard, and she never hates Grace, the woman whom Winterborne loves. When instructed by Grammer Oliver to help in Winterborne's "scheme" to win Grace's heart, Marty silently relents and do what she's expected to.


True, she's a little mean when she reveals about the "hair chronicle" to Fitzpiers, in the last attempt to ever win Winterborne. But that's the only moment of her spur competitiveness, and it's quite understandable. Other than that, Marty proves to be loyal and persistent in her life. And in the end, those qualities give her peaceful mind and life improvement - in short, happiness.

Oh Marty, you rightly deserve to be happy, and I'm so glad of Hardy's ending to this story. It's always about a woodlander who is true to her heart and land, from the beginning to the end.

4 comments:

  1. This Hardy novel is on my list of classics to read next. There's a movie version of it that I'd like to watch, too. Marty does sound like a great character.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Marty is the most down to earth of all in this book, the epitome of the woodlanders. Hopefully you like the book!

      Delete
  2. It's been a long time since I read this book but I do remember I felt for Marty. I agree with you about her being a true Woodlander. Have you read Hardy's poem, The Pine Planters. Its subtitled Marty South's reverie. Someone had pointed me to it after I read the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I haven't read Hardy's poem. I hardly read any poem, but that he subtitled his poem with Marty South is rather amazing. I need to search for that, thanks for letting me know, Mallika!

      Delete

What do you think?