Wednesday, April 12, 2023

The End of Book Depository and the New Era of My Reading Life



You must have heard by now about the closing down of Book Depository, the global online bookshop, owned by Amazon. I was terribly sad by the news, as were, I believe, many people who have been counting on Book Depository to get access to affordable imported books at their doorstep.

For me personally, Book Depository (BD) had been my ONLY source for English books. Amazon is sometimes cheaper, but their shipping cost to Indonesia is crazy! The shipping alone is often higher than the book itself. We have a local imported bookstore here, but their prices are higher than BD, and they provide mostly popular book, or classics in certain edition only. In short, all printed book I own, mostly came from BD.

I will never forget the exciting, hopeful wait for my ordered books to come (since they were shipped via post office, one couldn't track the package, and could only hope the package would arrive safely and on time). Once it arrived six month after order, that I have even forgotten I've had ordered it. But eventually, the books arrived. And that's what matters. But now, no more such things. For me, at least, it's the end of an era.


These, apparently, were the last batch I'd ever received 
from Book Depository!


What next, then?

I have hinted before in another post, my concerns that has encouraged me to consider audiobooks. Long story short, I've had problems with my eyesight, which compelled me to reduce activities which threaten to strain my eyes. Since my fulltime job requires me mostly to use computer, I can't do anything about it. It leaves me to reduce my reading and watching (TV/movies streaming). Of course I can't do that, can I? So, I have made these compromises:
  1. Stop watching either TV or movies. I have, sadly, cancelled my subscription to Netflix. But it has to be done if I want to keep reading. And I want to be able to read - I WILL - until I can't!
  2. Stop reading printed books, and switch to e-books or audiobooks. As I have said in this post, I started listening to audiobooks this year, and so far, enjoy it. But I can't rely my reading 100% to audiobooks because: a) not every book has audiobook version, b) if any, it always depends on the narrator, c) I can't listen to audiobooks at my lunch break or during commute. And there is where e-books are my hero!

What I love about digital books is the adjustable font sizes and background, which can't be found in printed books. Thanks to e-books and audiobooks, nowadays I can read comfortably without further injuring my eyes.

And they are much cheaper too than printed books! I've subscribed to Scribd, which cost me about $5,5 per month, with free access to all books available. If I can't find certain book, I could buy an e-book in Google Playbook. Either way, it's much cheaper than buying printed. And that is what my future reading life looks like.

Back to Book Depository's closing down, it's saddened me because of so much happy memories I've experienced of its brilliant services. But it's not so devastating, since I've decided not to buy printed book anymore. I still occasionally use my existing printed copy though, but only to consult something I don't quite get from audio or e-book.

In short, it's the end of an era, but on the other hand, it marks a new era in my reading life. Come what may, I'm happy to be able to keep reading for years to come. That, in the end, is what really matters, isn't it?

12 comments:

  1. Even though I didn't use Book Depository myself, I know many people outside of the U.S. that did, so I was super sad, too! I'm glad to see you taking such a positive outlook, though!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One can be sad and hopeful at the same time, I guess? :)

      Delete
  2. That's been too bad about Book Depository. Shipping costs to Canada weren't as crazy as to Indonesia, I'm sure, but they weren't free either.

    I do love my eReader. I'm currently using a Kobo, but have used a Kindle in the past. My eyes aren't getting any better either, and it's wonderful the way you can adjust the size or the lighting.

    Happy eReading!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, in a way, we are so lucky to live in digital era. There're many options for bookworms.
      Happy eReading too, Reese! ;)

      Delete
  3. That is very sad!! But I'm glad there are still lots of audio books and ebooks available to allow you to keep reading.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, I feel so grateful that I can keep reading. And I learned a valuable lesson: never underestimate one's eyesight!

      Delete
  4. I am sad about the closing of Book Depository.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is disconcerting. But who knows, some other company might provide the same benefits in the future, because I believe there's still market there!

      Delete
  5. It's such a shame - a US friend and I used to use it to send books to each other. And I used to like the bookmarks, too ... Fortunately we now have a local indie bookshop that can order most things, but not all. I hope you continue to find ebooks that work for you - it is an advantage to be able to change the font, isn't it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a good practice, to send books to each others. Hopefully both of you can continue this habit despite all.
      Yes, e-books are very helpful with its font adjustment feature. We are very fortunate to live in this digital era, otherwise it might get more difficult each year to read!

      Delete
  6. I'm so glad you have found a way to keep on reading Fanda! Like you, I would do anything it takes to keep stories a part of my life, so bravo for making it work for you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. It is rather sad to see it close, almost lie one's neighbourhood Bookshop closing. I didn't personally use it since we do have a local Amazon and another online store for books as also some for second hand books. I'm glad though that audiobooks will take some of the pressure off your eyes, and ebooks are a help too. Luckily plenty of classics are available to download in the public domain so expenses can be kept in check too.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?