Sunday, April 2, 2023

Zoladdiction 2023 - Master Post




We are here at last. Zoladdiction.BEGINS.today! while we are celebrating the birthday of our beloved genius author: Émile Zola. Bon anniversaire, Monsieur Zola!

Grab your book, read, enjoy, and share!

The linky has appeared below this post, where you can add your reviews or any Zola posts, either published on blog or social media. Do not forget to use hashtag #Zoladdiction2023 if you post on Twitter so I can retweet them.

To spice things up, this year we will also have...


THE ÉMILE ZOLA TAG

  • You can post your answers in your blog, or on the comment box below, or on Twitter. Don't forget to submit your posts on the linky.
  • Answer any time during Zoladdiction 2023 (1-30 April).


The questions:

  • How was your first introduction to Émile Zola? We'd love to hear your stories!

  • Do you read Zola's randomly, or do you follow a certain, or even your own, order?

  • What do you like and/or dislike from Zola? It can be his works, views, or personality. Or if you've just found Zola: What makes you decided to read Zola?

  • If you must spend a day with one character from Zola's books, who would you rather be with? And what both of you would do? (This is hard, I know! Zola didn't create many loveable characters 🤭)

  • Name one of Zola's books you would recommend others to read! Or if you haven't read him, which book would you like to start with?

  • You were invited in one of Zola's soirees (Zola's famous literary dinners of Naturalism writers) at Médan tonight. You may listen to all the conversation/discussion, but you're only allowed to suggest one topic - what would that be?

  • What is your least favorite book from Zola?

  • Have you read any book/work by other authors about Zola? Biography, companion book, essay, historical fiction, etc. Share them, please! (It may inspire others). If you haven't, would you like to?

  • Of the Rougons, the Macquarts, and the Mourets, which family do you like best? Why? (wrong-answers are acceptable 😜)

  • Your favourite Zola's quote(s) ?


Have fun!!


NOTE:
- Apparently the linky doesn't accept "French accent marks", it will not appear if there's one in the text. 
- Please contact me if you have trouble in submitting.

 

8 comments:

  1. I've started The Assommoir, or at least the VERY dense introduction in my edition! Brian Nelson's translator notes about the slang used by Zola was interesting though.
    Tonight I start the story proper :-)

    Great questions - I look forward to getting stuck into them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Brian Nelson does bring Zola's translations to another level! His is perhaps one of only few introductions I do read from start to end. :))
      Happy reading, Brona! And I can't wait to read your answers to the tag!

      Delete
  2. I'm looking forward to reading Germinal for this, though I will be getting to it only towards next week :) Also looking forward to see what others pick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't wait to read your thoughts on Germinal. Hope you'll love it as much as I do!

      Delete
  3. Fanda, I read Zola's ROME in December 2022...but it took me 3 weeks to finish the book in French! So saved the review so I could share my thoughts especially for #ZolaAddiciton 2023.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nancy, thank you for saving your review for Zoladdiction! I would've spent 3 months for that mammoth of book! Or more probably abandoned it after three weeks! You're wonderful!

      Delete
  4. I'm impressed by your commitment to Zola - I don't think I've read anything by him but I'm always happy to see other people's author obsessions!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Liz. Zola is one of those writers whom you either obsess with or loath vehemently.

      Delete

What do you think?