Monday, April 10, 2023

The Stone of Chastity by Margery Sharp: A Review for #1940Club




πŸ’™ This was my first acquaintance with Margery Sharp, and I must say that I wasn't too impressed.

πŸ’™ Professor Pounce, an expert in folklore, came to an old village called Gillenham, after learning about an ancient legend of the stone of chastity. According to the legend, there was a stepping stone on the local stream, on which a chaste woman would cross safely, but an impure or unfaithful one would certainly slip into the water.

πŸ’™ Accompanying the Professor, were the meek Mrs. Pounce, his sister in law; the idle Nicholas, his nephew; and a voluptuous girl called Carmen, whose capacity nobody knew about. They all lived in Old Manor. The Professor's first campaign for his scientific study was distributing a questionnaire on general knowledge about the stone of chastity (have you heard about it, do you know where it's located, and so on) to all the villagers, enlisting Nicholas to assist him.

πŸ’™ This questionnaire immediately stirred the village. The vicar's wife was enraged, marked it as paganism. Nicholas tried to warn the Professor about it, but to no avail. He received only one response to the questionnaire, but it's enough, because he's finally found the stone!

πŸ’™ Next step is the experiment. Professor Pounce, regardless of the women's rejection, invited all women of Gillenham to participate in the experiment (by stepping into the stone). Pious Mrs. Pye organized the village women to confront the Professor over this outrageous plan.

πŸ’™ Now, as I have said in my 1st Impression on this book, this is a ridiculous, hilarious, but clever satire. Unfortunately, I didn't feel as connected to the story as I've expected. It is quite entertaining as a book, but lacks of charm. The only interesting and relatable main character here is probably Professor Pounce. Nicholas is flimsy with all his romantic pursues; Carmen doesn't feel alive - only a voluptuous figure without soul.

If you are looking for a light, silly, ridiculous book, this would be it!

Rating: 3 / 5


*I read and reviewed this book for:*



 

12 comments:

  1. Professor Pounce! Our previous pair of cats (who have since gone on to their great cat reward) were called Professor and Pounce. Just for that I suppose I'll have to read the book.

    And anyway, sometimes I *do* like 'light, silly, and ridiculous'. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a remarkable coincidences, Reese! Cute names for cats, too :))
      I believe reading this book would mean much more for you, hope you'll enjoy it!

      Delete
  2. Thanks for including - sorry you didn't love it, but I think I love it for the reasons you mention - it's definitely Sharp at her silliest. I would say, do keep trying Sharp - her other novels range from dry irony to being quite serious, and this is something of an outlier in being entirely nonsense. Delightfully so, for me, but I realise it wouldn't be everyone's taste!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually, I don't mind the silliness. That's the only think I've enjoyed. It's not that I disliked it, but somehow I didn't feel connected with the book. Maybe it's because I couldn't relate with the characters.
      I would certainly read more of Sharp - I have a copy of A Foolish Gentlewoman, and I think I'm gonna like it better!
      Thanks, Simon, for stopping by and leaving a comment! :)

      Delete
  3. Sharp can be light, definitely, but I think the reader's reponse depends on their mood and the particular book! I've read and enjoyed some of her books, definitely!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you hit it right, Karen. I think that's the answer: the mood and the particular book! I usually know within a chapter whether I'm going to like it or not (sometimes from the very 1st page). And with this book, I know from the beginning, it will be so-so. :D

      Delete
  4. I've only read some of Sharp's children's books...which are cute and fun...I've never read any of her adult novels. Sorry this one wasn't better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've never read her children books.
      Yeah, this isn't very satisfying, but I still have high hope for her other adult books!

      Delete
  5. Glad this wasn't a complete disappointment even if it wasn't entirely a success either. Based on description alone, I would say A Foolish Gentlewoman (which was my first Sharp) was definitely much better. Hope you enjoy it when you get to it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm relieved to know that A Foolish Gentlewoman is supposed to be much better than this one. But it's not really a complete disappointment. At least I've come to know Margery Sharp and her witty writting! ;)

      Delete
  6. As I said on your first thoughts one, I think you have to be a particular kind of person to enjoy this kind of silliness, and also as said above it's a mood thing. I loved it but I would say her other books are probably more universally enjoyable.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so too. Not everyone can appreciate that kind of silliness, I guess. I'm glad to hear that her other books are better.
      And thanks for stopping by and leaving your comments, Liz! :)

      Delete

What do you think?