Wednesday, September 13, 2023

Shelf Control #5: My Side of the Mountain (Jean Craighead George)




Shelf Control is a weekly feature created by Lisa at Bookshelf Fantasies, and celebrates the books waiting to be read on your TBR piles/mountains. Since early January 2023, Shelf Control has moved base to Literary Potpourri.


This week I pick an e-book I've been keeping for a while:

My Side of the Mountain by Jean Craighead George




Summary from Goodreads:
"Every kid thinks about running away at one point or another; few get farther than the end of the block. Young Sam Gribley gets to the end of the block and keeps going--all the way to the Catskill Mountains of upstate New York. There he sets up house in a huge hollowed-out tree, with a falcon and a weasel for companions and his wits as his tool for survival. In a spellbinding, touching, funny account, Sam learns to live off the land, and grows up a little in the process. Blizzards, hunters, loneliness, and fear all battle to drive Sam back to city life. But his desire for freedom, independence, and adventure is stronger. No reader will be immune to the compulsion to go right out and start whittling fishhooks and befriending raccoons."

I am a bird-lover, and most recently started to compile a list of bird-theme books. It's not much, as I prefer novels with birds as character, rather than how-to-non-fictions of birdwatching or its kind. Right now, I'm just excited to read this one.


Have you read this book? Or do you know bird-theme books I might like?

 

2 comments:

  1. This does sound an interesting one. And I dream I'd love to at least try out some time--just getting away from it all and living amidst nature. Though I suspect I won't be too successful at it. Hope you enjoy the book!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good news: it's the first of a trilogy! ;)
      Yes, as much compelling as the idea of living in the nature, I also suspect I won't really enjoy it in the long run. Maybe staying for a week, but not more. We are too much spoilt by modern comforts to live without.

      Delete

What do you think?