Thursday, May 7, 2015

Ivanhoe

Although the book was titled Ivanhoe, I didn’t think Wilfrid of Ivanhoe is the most distinguished hero in this historical fiction. He was wounded and inaction throughout most of the story, and we only saw his chivalrous battle in the tournament, and then rescuing Rebecca the Jewess. And I disliked his attitude towards Isaac of York and Rebecca, though he was kindhearted enough to help them. Maybe it’s an ordinary sentiment against Jewish people at that time, but if so, what made him deserve the title hero?

I would choose Rebecca instead, she was an extraordinary woman. What she did was beyond any men in this story could do. She was a woman; with every limited source women might have at that time. She was also a Jewish, the cursed and marginalized race. Nonetheless, she was full of love and forgiveness to all who hated her race. What she had to endure was so great; but she was so calm and resilient. I think Rebecca was more Christian than those Christians. She was broad-minded; and always acted for the whole humanity, beyond community, race, or nation.

I read Ivanhoe a month ago—and had just enough time to do a proper review today—so I don’t quite remember the whole plot. It was set in England after King Richard I returned from the Third Crusades, around 12th century. England was dominated by Norman nobility, and Cedric of Rotherwood was the remaining notable Saxon family; he was ambitious to conquer the Normans, his mortal enemy. So, when he knew that his ward, Wilfrid of Ivanhoe, served King Richard who was Norman, he banished his only son.  The story began when some travelers stayed the night under Cedric’s hospitality. There they were joined by a palmer and a Jewish (Isaac of York). And then on Scott wove their adventures and intrigues; adding some other characters into it, so that their faith intertwined with each other, resulting an enjoyable story with intricate plot—as is usual with Romantic novels.

The appearance of Robin Hood and his “merry men” spiced up a bit the story; while the Templar with their strict rules added interesting side to it. But still, I sensed something is missing; I don’t know what… It felt like connecting several facts and figures into a story than creating one from the scratch.

Anyway, Ivanhoe is still quite an enjoyable piece of Romantic lit, for it is full with combination of chivalric adventures and romances. Though in the end you would ask, like I did, what’s special about Wilfrid Ivanhoe? Can you tell me?

Three and a half stars for Ivanhoe.

~~~~~~~~~

I read Wordsworth Classics paperback

This book is counted for:




6 comments:

  1. Great review. I started Ivanhoe once and wasn't able to finish. Perhaps now that I am a bit older I should try again. Rebecca sounds like an inspiring character who I am excited to meet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susanna. Hopefully you'll like it more than I did.

      Delete
  2. I read Ivanhoe About three months ago. I got tired of the constant To Jews, over three hundred. All refrences suggested Jews were avaricious greedy predators with the amazing exception of Rebecca, as if is beyond belief a Jewish person can be decent. Maybe thus just reflects the times the book was written but it turned me off.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, that's exactly what I felt about the Jews sentiment. That made me wonder whether Scott was an anti-semitist.

      Delete
  3. This book constant refrences to Jews turned me away reading more Scott.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fanda, I’ve nominated you and your blog for the Premio Dardos Award: http://100greatestnovelsofalltimequest.blogspot.com/2015/07/premio-dardos-award.html

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?