Tuesday, March 20, 2018

Challenges Update: March


Unintentionally, I picked two books with similar theme back to back since last month, but with opposite result. East of Eden was so absorbing from the beginning, and has instantly one of my most favorite read (so far) and also my all time most favorite books; while Resurrection my worst read. Why? Keep scrolling on...! Now, the statistic:

Book(s) read = 7
Review(s) posted = 5

  1. Falling Angels by Tracy Chevalier for #TBR2018RBR
  2. The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux for Back to the Classics Challenge 2018 (Re-read a favorite classic)
  3. Towards Zero by Agatha Christie for Back to the Classics Challenge 2018 (a classic crime story)
  4. The End of the Affair by Graham Greene for #TBR2018RBR and The Classics Club
  5. March by Geraldine Brooks for #TBR2018RBR
  6. East of Eden by John Steinbeck for The Classics Club and Back to the Classics Challenge 2018 (a 20th century classic) – not reviewed yet
  7. Resurrection by Leo Tolstoy for #TBR2018RBR, The Classics Club, and Back to the Classics Challenge 2018 (a classic with single-word title) – not reviewed yet


Question of the month from #TBR2018RBR:

What’s the best book you’ve read so far this year? (It could be from this challenge, but it doesn’t need to be). If you feel so inclined, you might also share which has been your worst read of the year (any DNFs?)

I have read 4 of 12 books for #TBR2018RBR . My favorite so far is March. Little Women is never my favorite, so at first I doubted whether I’d like March. But as usual, I was wrong; it’s much better than Little Women!

My worst read is the one I recently finished—the last novel from Leo Tolstoy: Resurrection (review is in progress). I found it very serious and cold. I understand that Tolstoy might have focused on criticizing the corrupted law, that he abandoned the esthetic side of his writing, but as a reader, I felt like listening to a tedious preaching for days!—and I don’t like it. There is another thing, but you can read it on my coming review anyway…

Right now I am tackling a non challenge book: Anna and the King of Siam (I need to purge my brain after the tedious Resurrection! And I have found this e-book on a Play Books promo last month. So for the next several days I will read from my phone.) There is also Thornton Wilder’s The Ides of March which I planned to read during Easter holiday.

No comments:

Post a Comment

What do you think?