Thursday, May 5, 2022

Zoladdiction 2022 & April Wrap Up, Reading Plans for May


For me personally, April seems to come and go in one swing. I got quite a severe mental exhaustion during the first half of the month. I didn't know what it was at first, but lately I had been easily irritated, which then grew into cynicism and violent thoughts. I was pretty scared for my health, so I googled it, and found that they are symptoms of mental exhaustion.

While removing the cause (as suggested by some articles) is impossible, I have resolved to make some changes to make my current life more balanced. The long and short of it is that I decided to pick only cozy readings and losen my reading challenges for a while. First step is to discard Zola's L'Assommoir (I know the ending too well, and it's not good for me at this moment) which I've intended for #Zoladdiction2022, and replace it with some light and comfort books; books that I really want to read.

Second step, I'm reducing my blogging time, and only focusing on what matters most: my fulltime work, caring for my Parkinson's father, and the never-ending household stuffs. I thank you all who have joined me in #Zoladdiction2022. I have done my best to retweet or tweet your posts, but I might not be able to read them, let alone leaving comments. Please don't feel me rude if I don't respond to some of your comments on this blog. I would love to keep reading your comments, though (I'd feel less stressful to know that there're people out there who still care for me 😊), but I also understand that some of you might feel unproductive to comment on inactive blog. It's perfectly understandable, don't worry about me. I wish I could say how long this will happen, but I can't, and so, for the time being I'll just read for leisure, and blog about it whenever I feel like it. (Painting: Woman Reading on Couch by Michael Shane Neal, 1968)


πŸ“š What I've Read in April

For a Night of Love is my first (and only) book for #Zoladdiction2022. I read it right before the mental exhaustion took over me. It's so-so, but short story has never been my cup of tea anyway.

While cancelling off L'Assommoir, I've been thinking what book should I read next, when I stumbled upon this book on Twitter: The Thursday Murder Club by Richard Osman. I googled it, and the premises of an elderly club in a senior house investigating murder, intrigued me right away, that I immediately bought an e-copy, and read it. It was entertaining - a little humorous, but a little sentimental too.

Next I picked a newly arrived book order - another warm and cozy read which I enjoyed very much: 84, Charing Cross Road by Helene Hanff (review will follow soon). And it is perfect to replace Bhagavad Gita, which I've picked earlier for Non Fiction entry for Back to the Classics 2022. Splendid!

My last April read is: Agatha Christie's And Then There Were None (review will also follow). It's my third of fourth read, so there's not much I can add, other than Christie's neat and genius plot (which, I'm sure, many of you have realized too).

What about you? How's your April reading? Were you having fun?


Statistics

πŸ“Š Total books read: 11
πŸ“Š Challenge progress:
2022 TBR Pile Challenge5
Back to the Classics Challenge 20227
2022 Chunkster Challenge1

And so, I am now ready to face the new month!


πŸ“š What's happening in May


I've decided to keep my seasonal reading of Willa Cather or #CatherInMay on. A Lost Lady is my pick.

I will also keep my original plan of 18th century reading for 2022, and am now reading: Frances Burney's Evelina, or, A Young Lady's Entrance into the World. I love it so far, a comical satire of inexperienced young girl among the English society.

I think both books will be enough to amuse me during the whole month.

Do you have plans for May reading?

4 comments:

  1. Hey Fanda! I just wanted to send you good wishes. Take your time & take care of yourself. Enjoy the quiet reading. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Fanda, I'm sorry to hear that you are going through these health issues. Know that you are not alone. It's more commonplace than you may know. Or maybe you do.

    Before I scrolled down to the Willa Cather image, I thought: she should try some more Cather. LOL!!! And there you go. I read your mind. She may do you some good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. PS. I'm taking care of my dad, too, and he has Parkinson's.

      Delete
  3. I'm so pleased to see this post, Fanda, as I had noticed your absence and was hoping that you were doing okay.
    Life can throw us some curve balls at times. When it does, all you can do is ride it as best you can.
    It sounds like you already know that to take care of others, you also have to make time to take care of yourself too. Comfort reads like Cather, sound like the perfect choice for you.
    If you ever need to reach out to someone who cares, please private message me for a 'chat'. I'm always happy to listen.
    Thinking of you and wishing you well. We'll be here whenever you're ready to re-engage with the blogging world xo

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?