Monday, May 1, 2023

Zoladdiction 2023 Wrap Up

1st May has come, and it means that our Zoladdiction 2023 has ended. What a lovely month we have all been spending together to celebrate Zola! I love our enthusiasm in reading and posting about Zola. And this year I am happy to announce that our friend Mallika has become a Zoladdict! 🥳 It means that she plans to read more Zola - and I hope in many years to come. Welcome on board, Mallika!

There were six of us who had participated and either submitted their posts in the linky or tagged me on twitter. If you have posted but not get mentioned in this post, please let me know in the comment.

Three of us have read each one book from Rougon-Macquart cycle. Germinal was reviewed by Mallika as her first introduction to Zola, and she loved it! You know the joy of someone loving the book you've cherished, right?

Brona was having a lovely time reading L'Assommoir! She posted two comprehensive supplementary posts concerning L'Assommoir, the introductory and the picturesque wedding of the protagonist, Gervaise. Zola often did that to you! And now I can't wait to read her thoughts about the book. It blew my ming on my 1st reading!

On my part, I have planned to read two books, but in the end only managed to read one ( a re-read). But I have enjoyed every second of it. Besides a review of the splendid The Ladies' Paradise, I have also doing a character analysis of the heroine; while earlier I've also reposted my kind of open letter to one of the characters.

If the three of us have had fun with our books, Nancy had been struggling when reading Rome (from the Three Cities Trilogy) several months ago. But she had valiantly gone through those 900-ish pages (skipping here and there, but who won't?), and triumphantly finished and wrapped it up with this informative review! *clapping for Nancy*

Now the most fun part of Zoladdiction 2023, the Émile Zola Tag. I didn't expect to have this much feedback. Six of us has answered the tag, including Karen @BookerTalk who missed the initial announcement of Zoladdiction 2023, and therefore hadn't read anything. Don't worry, Karen, there's still next year! 😉

I was most pleased to read everyone's answers! Alok with his story of finding the right translation of Germinal that eventually made him a Zoladdict. Then there's Brona with an interesting topic for Zola's soiree.. Cézanne's painting of Zola (I, for one, would love to hear Zola's reaction to this).

Karen and I shared the same character with whom we'd like to hang out with: Denise Baudu from The Ladies' Paradise, though we had different itinerary in mind. Maybe we can hangout together; that'll be fun! 😜

Last but not least, though this was only her first Zola, Mallika also posted her answers, in which she was quite excited to read few essays on Germinal in future.

And now I would like to thank all of you who had participated in one way or another in Zoladdiction 2023. Mister Linky would be closed, but if you still have posts (reviews or others) to submit, you can leave a comment here with the links. I will include them in this post.

See you again next year in Zoladdiction 2024. We will have more fun then! 😉

4 comments:

  1. Great wrap up Fanda and another great Zola reading month. My weekend got busier than planned, so my final post for L'Assommoir is running a little late. Will post the link here when I get it done.

    Thanks again :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can't wait to read your review, Brona. And thanks to you too for joining us yet again, and producing some great posts!

      Delete
  2. Thank you for hosting Fanda, and inspiring me to read my first Zola. I really enjoyed participating and look forward to joining in again next time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I'm glad that you decided to read more Zola, Mallika. See you next year!

      Delete

What do you think?