Monday, October 16, 2023

Cover Her Face (1962) by P.D. James #1962Club




🔸️ First published in 1962, Cover Her Face was P.D. James' debut crime novel, introducing Inspector Adam Dalgleish, who would appear in 13 of other novels in the series. In this first case, he investigates the murder of Sally Jupp, a house maid at Martingale, who was strangled in her bed.

🔸️ Sally Jupp was recommended by the local St. Mary's refuge, an institution for unmarried mothers, to stay, with her infant son Jimmy, and work at Martingale, the manor house of the Maxies. The family consists of Eleanor Maxie, the matron, with severely ill husband Simon; the son, Dr. Stephen Maxie; and his sister Deborah Riscoe. Martha, a devoted servant, is another member of the household. On that fatal day, two guests are also staying: Catherine Bowers who dreams of marrying Stephen, and Felix Hearn, former lover of Deborah.

🔸️ Sally is ambitious, secretive, and insolent woman. With those qualities, she like to take power over others. At a fête, held at Martingale, Sally deliberately copied Deborah's outfit, and later at night she took Deborah's mug to drink her cocoa. But what astonished the family most was when, at dinner, she amusedly announced that Stephen has proposed to her – which was true.

🔸️ That night someone put sleeping pills into her cocoa, and strangled her to death. Who killed her? Are they from the family, or was it an outsider's job? What's the motive? Jealousy? Blackmail? Or it has something to do with her past?

🔸️ As a debut novel, this is not bad, but I wasn't overly impressed either. There are too many characters involved for my taste, which only made this quite simple a case became more complicated. The solution was clever and believable, though I still didn't understand why the fake incident should have staged at all. I could make assumptions, but it seemed foolish, and I think didn't fit the perpetrator's personality. Dalgleish's investigation and deduction wasn't highlighted enough, we didn't know what's going on most of the time, and he only revealed everything in the end. And I didn't know what's the use of including a subordinate who didn't add anything to the story. Like I said before: too many useless characters.

🔸️ All considered, I don't think I would continue the series. Perhaps I am just more comfortable with the earlier Golden Age writers, or the modern ones, not the in-betweens. Not a satisfying read, but quite enjoyable. I enjoyed this story by listening to the audiobook, narrated wonderfully by Daniel Weyman. I liked his deep voice and distinct articulation.

Rating: 3,5 / 5

This book counts for:




For Bingo Card: Death by Strangulation

12 comments:

  1. I have read a couple of the Dalgleish books but not this one. Good to see that this was enjoyable enough though it seems to have had its problems. I don't like too many characters either, especially if one can't keep track of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And several of these characters are no real suspect either. So, what's the use?

      Delete
  2. I've only read James's An Unsuitable Job for a Woman which I thoroughly enjoyed. I'm sorry this one wasn't more impressive.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do hope that it's because this was her debut, and that the next ones would improve.

      Delete
  3. I read PD James back in the day, but haven't picked up one for a while - and I suspect from what you say here that I might find it hadn't aged well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish I was wrong. But there are many others which are better, so I guess she isn't my priority at this moment.

      Delete
  4. I didn't think about this as a 1962 book. It's been a long time since I read it, but I had the same reaction you did: it was OK, but I've never read another one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's rather forward compared with the Golden Age ones, for sure.

      Delete
  5. This was my first James. I quite liked it and read the author over the years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess it's all about taste in the end, right? :D

      Delete
  6. Exact same reaction: disappointing, not feeling like investing more in this series.
    https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/18/book-reviews-for-the-1962-club/

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?