Friday, October 20, 2023

The Weather at Tregulla (1962) by Stella Gibbons #1962Club




πŸ’™ First published in 1962, The Weather at Tregulla is a charming book penned by Stella Gibbons, telling the story of Tregulla, a quiet little seaside town in Cornwall, and how the place influences its inhabitants' fate.

πŸ’™ Una Beaumont has lived in Tregulla since she was born nineteen years ago. She desperately wanted to leave the dull, stagnant town, and pursue her dream to be actress in London. But, alas, when the time of departure is approaching, her mother died; and with her, the inheritance money her parents had allocated for her, vanished. Una's hope is dashed, and now she might never leave Tregulla and its unchanged people, whom she had known since she was born.

πŸ’™ Enter Terrence and Emmeline Willows, who rent a cottage owned by the Trewyns, Barnabas and Hugo - Una's childhood friends - and their mother. The Willowses are brother and sister who live in Bohemian style. Terrence is a selfish moody painter, while Emmeline, an eccentric girl. Una is immediately infatuated with Terrence; more, I think, because she saw her chance of leaving her dull life in him, than actually attracted to him.

πŸ’™ As the story progressed, I could see what kind of person Terrence is - his carefree way of life, his dubious friends, his selfishness. Like most talented artists, he cares only about his paintings. Nothing is more precious than that. I was worried all along about Una. She isn't the kind of girl I would have befriended - she is a bit into herself. All she cares about is her needs; she doesn't even care about her grieving father. Still, Una doesn't deserve a man like Terrence. He will make her unhappy.

πŸ’™ Hugo Trewyn, the brooding younger brother, is also in love with Una. He never shows his feelings; I think he feels insecure about his deformity; that he's incapable of making the high-spirited Una happy. Una, of course, never treats him other than a childhood friend. If only her father isn't that apathetic concerning his daughter. I understand Mr. Beaumont's grief, but if he loves his daughter, he must have tried harder to step up from his cocoon and provide her more guidance.

πŸ’™ The other Willows, Emmeline, is falling in love with Barnabas Trewyn, which he reciprocates. However, unlike Una, he notices Emmeline’s eccentricities, her bohemian way of life, and her circle of friends. Emmeline herself is trying to break free from her brother, and to get more respectable life as young Mrs. Trewyns. But she's just a woman. Everything depends on Barnabas. If he proposes to her, her dream will come true. Her only chance is Barnabas. And Barnabas has doubts.

πŸ’™ This book might seem like an ordinary romance story, but it's much more than that. First and foremost, there's the helplessness of our female characters to pursue their dreams. As women, both Emmeline and Una, are depended on their relatives. Other people direct their fates, their lives. They can't choose for themselves. The only way to freedom is by marriage. But apparently, love, hardwork, and talent only aren't enough to secure a woman's happiness. Dozens external influences play the biggest part. And in this sense, 1960s wasn't much different than in the 19th century.

πŸ’™ What I loved most about this book is Tregulla itself. I am no fan of seaside town, but Gibbons portrayed Tregulla vividly and charmingly, that I really wanted to, at least, visit it. The numerous different events that lead to our heroines' fates are intricately woven amidst the changing landscape or weather of Tregulla. Una might feel Tregulla lifeless, but I think it's just because she has never experience living outside it, and so, cannot fully appreciate its beauty.

πŸ’™ All in all, it's a wonderful book, beautifully written by Stella Gibbons. Another satisfying read, made available again, thanks to Dean Street Press. And who wouldn't want to read the inside of that gorgeous cover?!

Rating: 4,5 / 5

This book counts for:




8 comments:

  1. You make this sound so good--especially her portrayal of the town itself. Not sure how I'll take to Una but I think the themes of women facing restrictions in pursuing their dreams without the 'marriage' tag is definitely one any of us can relate to, at least to some extent.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the portrayal of the town itself is what I loved most of this book. The characters, not so much. Hope you'll like it when you get to read it!

      Delete
  2. I've really enjoyed the few books by Stella Gibbons that I've read. Cold Comfort Farm is a particular favorite. And I think I would like this one a lot, too. I'll have to see if I can find a copy of it. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now I want to read Cold Comfort Farm too. It sounds much better than this one, so I'm probably going to love it.
      Good luck got getting your copy of this book! ;)

      Delete
  3. Sounds absolutely lovely. I've not explored Gibbons much apart from Cold Comfort Farm, but I'm increasingly convinced I should do so!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Gibbons had her way of making it sounds lovely. I hope the rest of her books would be as lovely as this one!

      Delete
  4. I have read Cold Comfort Farm by Stella Gibbons but nothing else. This one sounds good, and I have purchased a Kindle edition, although I would rather have a paper copy with that lovely cover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think we agreed on this one, I did love the Cornish setting of it.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?