Thursday, October 12, 2023

The Classics Club Spin (CC Spin) # 35




Yay… it’s time for the last Classics Club Spin of this year. I’ve been abandoning my Classics Club reading for a while, so it’s time to shake it off a bit!

It’s easy. At your blog, before next Sunday 15th October, 2023 create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list. This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the spin period. On Sunday 15th, October we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List by the 3rd December, 2023.

Since I am too lazy to choose twenty, here’s my list of ten titles, doubled, to make twenty:

UPDATE - no. 2 is chosen, and I'll be reading:
  1. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
  2. The Foolish Gentlewoman by Margery Sharp
  3. Vittoria Cottage by D.E. Stevenson
  4. The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
  5. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  6. Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson
  7. The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
  8. Village School by Miss Read
  9. Three Men in A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
  10. The Enchanted Barn by Grace Livingston Hill
  11. Right Ho, Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse
  12. The Foolish Gentlewoman by Margery Sharp
  13. Vittoria Cottage by D.E. Stevenson
  14. The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street by Helene Hanff
  15. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell
  16. Queen Lucia by E.F. Benson
  17. The Country of the Pointed Firs by Sarah Orne Jewett
  18. Village School by Miss Read
  19. Three Men in A Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
  20. The Enchanted Barn by Grace Livingston Hill

I don’t have any preference, though if numbers 2,3,12,13 were to be picked, I’d also be reading them for Dean Street December. Have you read them? Spotted any favorites?

 

21 comments:

  1. Three Men in a Boat is great fun! I've read it several times :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So I've been hearing. I don't know why I haven't read it sooner (well, you know why of course!) :D

      Delete
  2. There are several here I'd like to read. I hope you get Three Men in a Boat or Cranford.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kelly. I also hope to get one of those two, some laughs are what I'd need coming November (dreary monsoon season)!

      Delete
  3. I loved Cranford. And you can never go wrong with P.G. Wodehouse. Benson's Lucia books are also humorous and fun. Happy spinning! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can see that I've purposely choose humorous titles for this spin, so yes, it seems I'm going to have fun! ;)

      Delete
  4. Fun! I have read 3/10.
    Here is my list: https://wordsandpeace.com/2023/10/12/the-classics-club-the-classics-spin-35/

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your approach -- doubling up is very clever! Queen Lucia was almost on my list too -- maybe next time. :) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lisa! I just don't have time to pick another ten. But it doubled up the chance of each title to be spinned, right? ;)

      Delete
  6. Ohhh I hope you get The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street - my edition had both stories in it and it was wonderful to read them back to back. So heartwarming and funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get that, but I'd certainly looking forward to read it!

      Delete
  7. The first two are very nice and any from 5 to 9 also. Excited to see which one gets picked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got Margery Sharp, which is nice because I'd be able to read it for Dean Street December too!

      Delete
    2. Glad to see that. I read it for Dean Street December last year and enjoyed it.

      Delete
  8. I liked Cranford a lot, but that may be one of the longer ones on your list. Wodehouse is always fun!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've planned to listen to the audiobook, and it's only 7 hours. But, alas, it's not picked! :D

      Delete
  9. I hope you get to read The Country of The Pointed Firs! Since you like Cather, I think you'll enjoy it. Elizabeth Gaskell is a writer I haven't yet read. I am not sure where to start with her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get to read it for this spin, but from how you compared it to Cather, I'm excited to get to read it!
      I hear a lot praises on Gaskell's Wives and Daughters. Maybe that's a good starting point?

      Delete
  10. Jeeves is always fun, and Cranford is excellent. Whether you get one of those or something else, I hope you love it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't get those two, but I'm happy with what I get: The Foolish Gentlewoman. Hope you'd get what you wanted, Amanda!

      Delete

What do you think?