Monday, October 23, 2023

Murder in Williamstown (2022) by Kerry Greenwood #AusReadingMonth




🧧 The Honorable Phryne Fisher is the most famous Australian female private detective. Live in St. Kilda, Melbourne in the 1920-1930s, she enjoys her aristocratic status, though never forgets her humble origin. In her 22nd case, Miss Fisher is assisted by her devoted assistant Dot, and her three adopted children: the twins Ruth and Jane, and Tinker. These three young persons have been taught by their adoptive mother to be a good detective.

🧧 The story begins with two separate mysterious occurrences. Threatening cards which have been found in Phryne Fisher's mailbox is one. The other is embezzlement of fund at the Blind Institute, where Ruth and Jane is volunteering. Then Phryne finds the murdered body of a Chinese man when she's taking a walk with her newest lover, Jeffry Bisset. I've kept wondering how these three would be made connected?

🧧 Meanwhile, at the end of each chapter, we follow the fate of two girls - one of them called Peony - separated from the main events. From the snippets of their dialogues, we could feel that they are in misery. But of what kind, we are kept in the dark. Perhaps this would be the binding element of the whole mystery? Peony is a common name for Chinese girls, right? Chinese girls in misery, a Chinese man murdered, there's something in it, surely.

🧧 Phryne's friend and former lover Lin Chung's secret reticent is also mysterious. Is there something fishy going on within the Chinese community in Melbourne, then? The climax comes at a party held by a prominent Chinese man called Hong, to which, Phryne and Jeffry Bisset are invited. Hong is killed at his own party. Phryne tries to catch the runaway murderer, but she is detained by several Chinese men.

🧧 This was my first Phryne Fisher mystery, and I had been excited to find another promising series of cozy mystery. I regret to say, though, that it wasn't as good as I've expected. I am a fan of Masterchef Australia, and this story reminds me of what Melissa Leong, one of the judges, used to say when she tastes a dish, where every single element is good by itself, but not that good when eaten as a whole; the dish lacks 'cohesiveness'. And that's what this story is lacking, cohesiveness. The case of embezzlement at Blind Institute and threatening letters turn out to be just detecting exercises for Tinker and the twins, respectively. Phryne works the deduction and solves the mysteries long before the climax of the main case begins. And that two cases don't have any connection whatsoever with the murder after all. That is so disappointing!

🧧 The murder itself is lacking complexity, Phryne does a minimum work of detection, there's not much of suspects, and all happen too quickly. The solution is disappointing too. When we reach near the end, there's a party held by Phryne, with everyone involved are invited, that feels like  deflating balloon.

🧧 My favorite element of this book, however, is the narration. I listened to the audiobook, narrated perfectly by Wendy Bos, a Melbourne based actor and voice over artist. After hours of watching Masterchef Australia, I've got to love Australian accent. And Wendy is everything that I expect in a narrator. I would like to try another Phryne Fisher, as long as it's narrated by Wendy Bos, who knows, it might be better than this one!

Rating: 4 / 5

I read this book for:






6 comments:

  1. I have only read one book in this series, Cocaine Blues, and it was very energetic and entertaining, but I don't remember about the mystery plot itself. I do have another one to try someday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should try from the beginning, I wonder? I have two more possibilities, hopefully they're getting better!

      Delete
  2. I haven't read any of these mysteries, though I've heard of them. Hope the next one you try is better! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed! I'd love to listen to another audiobook of it, anyway. That, itself, is quite entertaining! :))

      Delete
  3. I read and enjoyed quite a few of the early books, but as you say, they lose cohesiveness as time goes by. But if I came across one in a holiday house and I had nothing else to read, I'd be happy to dip back into Phyrne's world again for old time's sake :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a pity, isn't? Well, I'll try to find copy for the earlier books in the series. Thanks for the tip!

      Delete

What do you think?