Friday, February 2, 2024

Agatha Christie Short Stories 2024 - FEBRUARY #AgathaChristieSS24




Thank you all of you who have participated in #AgathaChristieSS24 January! I will recap all your reviews (hopefully soon!) and will include the links in the January post.

In February we will read two stories:

THE PEARL OF PRICE

Published in 1934, this is a Parker Pyne story. He joins a party of people from Amman, through Jordon to Petra. When talk turns to the nature of honesty and a pearl earring goes missing, the group suspect each other of theft.

The journey is, of course, inspired by Christie's experiences with husband Max Mallowan. She wrote this particular story after she and Max had visited the temples and rock tombs of Petra, a location which also features in the novel Appointment with Death.

This story first appeared in the UK in Nash’s Pall Mall Magazine, and was later included in the 1934 collection Parker Pyne Investigates.


THE AFFAIR AT THE BUNGALOW

A beautiful actress becomes embroiled in a tale of theft, adultery and confusion. Even Miss Marple claims to have trouble solving this mystery.

The story was first published in 1930 in The Story-Teller magazine, then was later included in The Thirteen Problems.

I have found an audiobook (?) of this story in YouTube Soundbook Stories. I haven't even heard about YouTube Soundbook; have you? Anyway, here's the link if you're interested.

2 comments:

  1. How did I miss a Christie celebration? Well, when I tell you I haven't had time to take down my Christmas tree, you will know that January rushed right by me . . .

    I think it is hard to capture a mystery fan in a short story as there is so little time for plot or character development but if anyone can do it, surely it would be Christie.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I (short) reviewed both in the same post: https://wordsandpeace.com/2024/02/11/sunday-post-103-walking-and-reviewing-2-11-2024/
    I have already read the March ones, so see you in April!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?