Thursday, July 18, 2024

The Classics Club Spin #38 #CCSpin




It’s time for another #CCSpin! I have been slacking a bit in my classics reading, and have just thought the other day that I’ve got to read one classic this or next month. So, #CCSpin comes nicely at the right time.

What is Classics Spin?
It’s easy. At your blog, before next Sunday 21st July 2024 create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list. This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the spin period. On 21st July, we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List by the 22nd September 2024.

UPDATE: I'm going to read #17: A FAR CRY FROM KENSINGTON (Muriel Spark)

My list
  1. Excellent Women (Barbara Pym)
  2. Our Spoons Came from Woolworths (Barbara Comyns)
  3. Miss Buncle's Book (D.E. Stevenson)
  4. Cranford (Elizabeth Gaskell)
  5. Miss Plum and Miss Penny (Dorothy Evelyn Smith)
  6. Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K. Jerome)
  7. A Far Cry from Kensington (Muriel Spark)
  8. Cider with Rosie (Laurie Lee)
  9. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsburg)
  10. Something New: Blandings Castle #1 (P.G. Wodehouse)
  11. Excellent Women (Barbara Pym)
  12. Our Spoons Came from Woolworths (Barbara Comyns)
  13. Miss Buncle's Book (D.E. Stevenson)
  14. Cranford (Elizabeth Gaskell)
  15. Miss Plum and Miss Penny (Dorothy Evelyn Smith)
  16. Three Men in a Boat (Jerome K. Jerome)
  17. A Far Cry from Kensington (Muriel Spark)
  18. Cider with Rosie (Laurie Lee)
  19. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsburg)
  20. Something New: Blandings Castle #1 (P.G. Wodehouse)

As you can see for yourself, there are only ten on the list, which I doubled up to make it twenty. I’m just being lazy, and don’t have time to think of ten more. And I’ve just realized that eight of the ten are by women writers, and six of ten are new writers for me - splendid! I have just found an audio version of Barbara Comyns’ Our Spoons Came from Woolworths, and would love that to be picked, but I’ll be delighted to read any one of them anyway.

Have you read any on my list? Any favorites? And if you’re a Classics-Clubber, would you join #CCSpin too?

13 comments:

  1. Good idea. I've done something similar when my initial list of 50 was coming to an end. Now, I just add two more or however much I read since the last list and that's that. But I might go back to that idea.
    I have not read any of your books but Cranford and Cider with Rosie is on my wishlist, I've read a few by P.G. Wodehouse and wouldn't mind some of the others, so it's a good list for me. Thanks.

    And thank your for visiting my post:
    https://momobookblog.blogspot.com/2024/07/the-classics-club-classics-spin-38.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And thanks for visiting here, Marianne!
      A Wodehouse every now and then are certainly what we need these days!

      Delete
    2. Truer words have seldom be spoken.

      Delete
  2. Excellent Women, Cranford, Miss Buncle's Book and From the Mixed-Up Files are four favorite books of mine. So I hope you get one of those. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a feeling I would love those four too! ;)

      Delete
  3. I hope you spin one of the Barbara's - I've read one of them and want to read the other!
    Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me guess... Pym's the one you've read, and Comyns' the one you want to. If so, we have same feelings. I'm thinking of reading Comyns, despite it' not being spinned. :)

      Delete
  4. I also chose just ten titles this time. I loved Excellent Women and Three Men in a Boat---I hope you draw one of these.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Giving each book more chance to get spinned, right? ;)

      Delete
  5. I've been reading Barbara Pym lately, but haven't yet read Excellent Women. Hope you get that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't! -_-'
      But I will read in anyway, maybe next month... or next...

      Delete
  6. I have not read anything by Muriel Spark, so I looked up A Far Cry from Kensington and it sounds like a good read. I look forward to your review.

    You have several others on your list that I want to read.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?