Friday, July 12, 2024

The Daily Francophile Playlist #ParisInJuly2024




Besides reading French or French-themed books for #ParisinJuly, I have a habit of compiling French music playlist to listen to during the month. This list is growing from year by year, and for this year, I am compiling a special playlist from the master list, which I call my Daily Francophile Playlist. It consists of cheerful or comforting and uplifting songs that I can play from morning to evening, depends on my mood. Not continually, of course, but from time to time. Here they are:

Dave Coz: Together Again (1999) from album: The Dance

I know this is neither a French song nor written/played by a French musician, but it always reminds me of Paris. 24 years ago I went to Paris with a friend. But we arrived separately; I was one day earlier. 24 hours in Paris, I felt homesick and lonely. I haven't spoken to anyone, except for asking direction or ordering food. I had had dinner in a little bistro the night before and the other dinners asked me where I came from, where is Indonesia, etc. Apart from that, I was alone all day. That afternoon, while spending time before picking up my friend from the metro station, I had a walk. Suddenly from a fashion boutique came a familiar sound - it's Dave Koz' Together Again! That song was my favorite at that time, I used to play it all the time at home. Hearing it far away in Paris, was really comforting. I didn't feel alone anymore. Since then, I always associate Together Again to my wonderful moments in Paris. It's a song I would listen to whenever I feel wretched, and it never fails to uplift my spirit. That's why it has to be included in my Francophile playlist. It's playful tune fits with Paris vibes too, don't you think?

From Paris in July 2023 I've been falling in love with Tatiana Eva-Marie & Avalon Jazz Band's music. Here are some of them that I enjoy the most. One is Cole Porter's song, the rests are mostly from Charles Trenet - I love their cheerful tone!

💐 I Love Paris (Cole Porter)
💐 Fleur Bleu (Charles Trenet)
💐 Un Rien Me Fait Chanter (Charles Trenet)
💐J'ai ta main (Charles Trenet)
💐 Ménilmontant (Charles Trenet)
💐 Qu'est ce qu'on attend pour être heureux (Paul Misraki & André Hornez)

These two are from their album Je suis Swing:

💐 La complainte de la Butte
💐 Coquette

Here are my two latest finds from YouTube:

From Flonflon Révolution/Flonflon Syndicate:
💐 Gitan Swing
💐 Nostalgie d'Amour
💐 Swing Valse

This one is for my after work relaxation, to be played while having dinner, perhaps...

From Flonflon Syndicate
💐 La Folle Complainte

And finally to close the day, here are mini concerts that I love:

Sébastian Giniaux Quartet
YouTube Channel: Auberge Des Vergers


Are you familiar with these songs? Do you have a special #ParisinJuly playlist?

13 comments:

  1. Terrific list. My playlists are mostly instrumental because that's what I use for working at my computer. To bring in the Paris mood, I'll often choose the Gymnopédies by Erik Satie.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't heard about that song, would search for it after this. Thanks for the inspo!

      Delete
  2. I've heard a few of these via the Avalon Jazz Band, featuring Tatiana Eve-Marie. Wonderful group!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Their non-French songs are wonderful too, and I noticed they've been performing quite everywhere. A lovely group!

      Delete
  3. Clever addition to July in Paris! I remember my first trip to Paris - I accompanied my sister who was on a business trip, so I could share her hotel room. She was busy during the day so I went sightseeing alone but usually had a late dinner with her and her coworkers. For me, that was just the right amount of alone time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Every year I go looking for Paris songs! I did also discover Tatiana last year and that music definitely makes me think of France!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tatiana is a real gem, I fell in love with her voice!

      Delete
  5. Awesome list here, I love some of your old titles in it, by Trenet for instance

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Trenet's songs are very uplifting, aren't they? Just the ones I need these days..

      Delete
  6. It would be lovely if you could make for all of us a Paris in July playlist on Spotify!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did one here: https://open.spotify.com/playlist/1sCfn1In0P0EXrAi4S6v2X

      Delete
    2. Haha... I don't have Spotify, but you're welcomed to make one from my playlist, Deb! ;)

      Delete

What do you think?