Tuesday, July 25, 2023

Paris in July: My Current French Playlist




I am not a music person - meaning that I occasionally play some music (usually during office hours), but I'm not addicted to it. But every July, I couldn't resist from playing some French music from my playlist every now and then.

This year has been tough for me, so I need some cheerful music to lift up my spirit. I was drawn to this particular singer's voice and the kind of her songs:

Tatiana Eva-Marie & Avalon Jazz Band

From tatianaevamarie.com website:
"Nicknamed the Gypsy-jazz Warbler by the New York Times, Tatiana Eva-Marie is a transatlantic bandleader, singer, author, and actress based in Brooklyn. She plays French pop derived from the Django tradition with Balkan Gypsy and folk influences.

Though her interests have led her to explore a wide range of musical styles, Tatiana Eva-Marie’s craft is always inspired by her own French and Balkan heritage; a love for the Parisian art scene era spanning the 1920s to the 60s; a passion for traditional Gypsy songs; a fascination for New Orleans music; and a deep connection to the Great American Songbook.
"

I love jazz, particularly that of the 20th century (vintage). That's why Tatiana's Youtube videos immediately become my favorite. She sings quite a lot of French songs, or song about France/Paris, and also American ones. But, of course, my interest this month is only for the French ones.

My favorite is her rendition of Cole Porter's I Love Paris. It's light, rhythmic, with cheerful notes and accordion! Not only do I LOVE Paris, I also like Cole Porter (another of my favorite is Let's Fall in Love, which was one of the theme-songs in Midnight in Paris).




Several more of her songs that made up my playlist:

🎶 Que reste-t-il de nos amours? (composed by Léo Chauliac and Charles Trenet)
🎶 Si Tu Vois Ma Mère (composed by Sidney Bechet). This is also one of Midnight in Paris's theme songs.
🎶 Fleur Bleu (Charles Trenet)
🎶 Un Rien Me Fait Chanter (Charles Trenet)
🎶 J'ai ta main (Charles Trenet)
🎶 Qu'est ce qu'on attend pour être heureux (Paul Misraki)


Do you have certain playlist for #ParisInJuly? What kind of song it consist of?

 

8 comments:

  1. That's a really fun version of that song! I'd never heard of her.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's light and refreshing, right? I have only listened to the original and Frank Sinatra's version before.

      Delete
  2. So cool, a playlist for #parisinjuly, we should do something more with that next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That does look like a very vintage type band, though maybe self-consciously so. There have been so many covers of that song, it’s good to hear one that’s a bit different!
    best, mae at maefood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love their cover version for being more refreshing without changing too much of the original music.

      Delete

What do you think?