Monday, July 10, 2023

#MurderEveryMonday: Summer-Holiday Covers



I have often seen this weekly meme on Twitter, and have been longing to do it. I love crime fiction, and I am a cover-art lover too. It's been awhile since I did my last Judging Book by Its Cover, so this meme might be my consolation. I might do this regularly, at least once a month, and on this blog, instead of Twitter.

Murder Every Monday was created by Kate Jackson @ Cross Examining Crime and @ArmchairSleuth. Put simply, the plan is for readers to take a photo of a crime fiction book (novel or short story collection) which meets a given week’s theme criteria and to then share it online, using the hashtag #MurderEveryMonday.

This week's theme is:

Cover with a summer holiday theme
(Holiday Resort/Suitcase/Sunbathers/Beach/Holidaymakers on a promenade or other holiday destination or facility – Be creative!)

Here're my five picks (I might not use covers of my copy, since I've read mostly from e-book or audiobooks):

The first three are from books I've read by Agatha Christie. Christie loved travelling, so it's no wonder that she sent her detective/sleuth on vacation quite often.








The other two are books I haven't read before, but... don't you just love those beautiful covers from the British Library Crime Classics editions?!






Which cover(s) do you like most?

If you want to participate, here's the list of the weekly theme:

 

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing about Murder Every Monday on your blog. You've got some great covers there. I really enjoyed The Widow of Bath. I've recently re-read Evil Under the Sun and I was impressed with how much cluing and red herrings there are from the very first pages.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My pleasure, Kate!
      Re-reading crime fiction after some years do pays off, doesn't it? On first reading we're awed by the plot, etc. But on the 2nd (when we already know the solution), we're in for a treat by finding all the clues scattered from the beginning.

      Delete
  2. This is a fun meme! I do like the covers for the British Crime Library reissues, and both of those are pretty cool--I haven't read either of those two. Of the Christies I think I liked the cover for A Caribbean Mystery the best. But with Christie, who cares about the cover! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with BLCC covers - they make you want to read all, don't they? :))
      And agree on Christie's; but for this cool meme, I never care about the cover!

      Delete

What do you think?