Wednesday, July 26, 2023

Letters from My Windmill by Alphonse Daudet: A Review



As hinted by the title, this book (originally titled Lettres de mon moulin) consists of short stories, written as letters addressed to a Parisian. The narrator was relocated from his Paris home, and now lives in an rented abandoned windmill he in Provence.

In these letters, he recounted his new life in Provence; from day-to-day events in the countryside - which are so different from the hustle-bustle of a big city - to some Provençal folktales. In addition to that, he also included his trips to Corsica and Algeria.

Some of these stories - or sketches, you might call it - are light and funny, but there are few of them which is satirical, and even sad. I loved the first story: First Impressions, it transported me to the quiet countryside of southern France:

"I am writing to you from my Windmill, with the door wide open to the brilliant sunshine. In front of me, a lovely, sparkling lit, pine wood plunges down to the bottom of the hill. The nearest mountains, the Alpilles, are far away, their grand silhouettes pressing against the sky... There was hardly a sound to be heard; a fading fire, a curlew calling amongst the lavender, and a tinkle of mules' bells from somewhere along the track. The Provençal light really brings this beautiful landscape to life."

 Don't you just love it? I can feel the serene quietness in my head, the warm sun caressing my skin right now!

Daudet's mill in Fontvielle, open for tourists, complete with museum


Some of the 'folktales' are pretty hilarious. The Pope's Mule is perhaps one of my favorites. It's about.. well, a Papal mule who was used to be spoilt by the owner, that when a naughty boy was hired to take care of her, he grudged the boy's bullies and cruelty. She longed to give the boy a mighty kick, but before she got a chance, the boy was sent abroad. But the mule never forgets. Seven years she waited patiently to get his sweet revenge. Will she succeed?

Another one I loved is The Stars. It's a sweet tale about a shepherd who is falling in love with his master's charming daughter.

All in all, I loved all the fourteen stories. The beautiful Provençal countryside with its fife player, tambourines, and farandole dances are what one needs in this bleak existence one lives in.

Rating: 4 / 5

 

3rd book for Paris in July 2023



6 comments:

  1. I do love a collection of letters like this. Thanks for posting about this collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome, Marg! I've read another collection of letters which I think you'll love too. The review will be up tomorrow. ;)

      Delete
  2. Oh neat. I read this in my early teens, I need to revisit, yes some are so funny!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an even mix of funny, sad, and sweet stories, isn't it?

      Delete
  3. I have this book checked out from the library! I thought it was rather intriguing looking. I know nothing of French literature so it was just a whim; how fun to see you've read it!

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?