Wednesday, July 5, 2023

Shelf Control #3: Hello? Is Anybody There? by Jostein Gaarder



Shelf Control is a weekly feature created by Lisa at Bookshelf Fantasies, and celebrates the books waiting to be read on your TBR piles/mountains. Since early January 2023, Shelf Control has moved base to Literary Potpourri.

My pick this time is:


Hello? Is Anybody There? by Jostein Gaarder




Jostein Gaarder is a Norwegian novelist, short stories, and children books writer. His books mostly aim to educate children or young adult on philosophy. His most famous work is Sophie's World (also my favorite). I have read most of Gaarder's other books too: The Solitaire Mystery (another favorite), The World According to Anna, Through A Glass Darkly, Vita Brevis, The Orange Girl, Maya, The Ringmaster's Daughter, and his Christmas theme book: The Christmas Mystery.

Hello? Is Anybody There? is another philosophy-theme book for children. It's on my TBR in Google Playbook, though I don't remember buying it! 🙃

Summary from Goodreads:
"While waiting for the birth of his baby brother, Joe is visited by a strange child from another planet, and the two discover that they, and their planets, share many similarities as well as differences."

I think this will provide a fun reading; a cute yet a little thought provoking story, without highbrow lectures on philosophy.

Have you read this book? Or any of Gaarder's?

 

4 comments:

  1. This sounds interesting and a bit like the Little Prince! I've only read Sophie's World by him which I quite enjoyed. It was heavy reading considering it tries to put across much of Western philosophy in a limited space but at the same time done in a way that is easy to grasp. Hope you enjoy this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the cover reminds me a bit of Little Prince. But I think Gaarder's would be more fun to read than Exupery's (judging by my previous reads of Gaarder).

      Delete
  2. The first time I've even heard of Gaarder. I do like the cover illustration. Maybe I'll have to find Sophie's World at the very least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you like Sophie's World, it is likely you'd like his other books.

      Delete

What do you think?