Wednesday, July 22, 2020

The Classics Club Meme 2.0: The Most Read Authors

It's been a long time since I last did The Classics Club meme. This year they reboot the questions, and this one is one of my favorites - plus I happen to have more time to spare than last month! So here we go...

Which classic author have you read more than one, but not all, of their books and which of their other books would you want to read in the future?

These are my top three authors that I've read most:

AGATHA CHRISTIE (70 books)

That's a rough amount, because I read Christie's from high school and sometimes I forget which title I've actually read. It's safe to say that I have read most of hers, but not all.

Starting 2019 I have been doing the Agatha Christie Perpetual Reading Challenge, planning to read/reread her crime books in chronological order (but omitting the short stories collection because I'm no great fan of short stories). I'm also in for Six Shooter Mystery Reading Challenge this year, planning to read six books each year. One particular title which I am sure I haven't read is Why didn't they ask Evans? And it's the next and last book from both challenges' list I'll be reading this year, so that's the one I'm most looking forward to!

ÉMILE ZOLA (22 books)

From the 20 books of Rougon-Macquart cycle, only one book I haven't read; it's the last one: Doctor Pascal. And beyond the cycle, I've also read two novels and one non fiction.

As I am in the middle of The Rougon-Macquart Project, the next two I'm gonna reread this year are The Belly of Paris and The Conquest of Plassans. I'm actually excited about Doctor Pascal, but it has to wait until I have finished the other 19.... :(

CHARLES DICKENS (18 books)

There's no year goes by without at least a Dickens or two to read. Tell me, which one should I read next? Martin Chuzzlewit or Nicholas Nickleby?

Other than these three, I'm also working on reading from several other authors in my Author Challenge. Who knows, I might add one or more authors along the way?

6 comments:

  1. Wow! Even 18 of Dickens is a feat, I think! But 70! That's amazing. And that reminds me, because my 12 year old loves mystery and I am at a loss what to suggest; but do you think Agatha Christie would be a good author for a 12-year old? If so, what title(s) would you recommend?

    I still need to read Nicholas Nickleby. So I cannot help you there. Maybe if and when you decide to read it, let me know. If it is good timing, I may join you. I'm very intimidated by its size. Still.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, 5 of the Dickens are novellas... :)
      I'd be glad to read Nickleby with you, it's definitely next year, as I'm rather packed until end 2020.

      I read my 1st Agatha Christie was at 13 y.o., so it's not too early. Most of her books aren't like modern crimes with brutal-graphic scenes, she's more in the characters and psychology than in the murder. I think I might as well write a post on this, otherwise this comment would be quite long :) Just wait a bit, would you? ^_^

      Delete
    2. Sure, no problem. We're heading to the library today, so maybe I can help her choose one or a few. Thanks.

      And no problem on Dickens bc I'm booked, too. I'm always booked, but looking ahead to next year, I can plan for it. :)

      Delete
    3. You'd better avoid Curtain and Murder on the Orient Express, though...

      Delete
  2. I'd recommend Nickelby over Chuzzlewit, which is one of my least favorite Dickens, which I found pretty forgettable. I have also read most of Agatha Christie, though I may have skipped a couple of the Tommy and Tuppence novels which I didn't care much for. At one point I had also read all the Dick Francis mysteries but I think someone else is still writing them under his name.

    Goodreads used to have a Most Read Authors tracker but it disappeared a couple of years ago, to my chagrin. I guess I could just check under my most-read books but I'm pretty sure Christie and Francis are my most-read, and probably Trollope. Now I need to go check!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best Tommy and Tuppence is The Secret Adversary, the rest are much worse. Hey, I haven't read (and haven't heard about) any Dick Francis before, but might check it out after this.

      I've been dreading to read Martin Chuzzlewit. In fact, it's among the first Dickens I acquired long ago, but didn't have courage to read. :(

      I'm pretty sure your most-read isn't Trollope just because he didn't publish as much as Christie, but your dedication to read him is admirable. I might add him to my Author Challenge list once I hit upon his best.

      Delete

What do you think?