Sunday, June 18, 2023

One by One They Disappeared by Moray Dalton (1929): A Golden Age Mystery


๐Ÿ”น️Nine men and one cat had survived a sunken ship. The oldest - and richest - of them, Mr. Pakenham, as a token of gratitude to his fellow survivors for helping him on board the live boat, has been hosting  annual elaborate dinners for them over the years. On the last dinner, he announced that the eight of them were made joint-beneficiaries in his will.

๐Ÿ”น️This year, however, only two of them appeared at the dinner. Young uprising Inspector Hugh Collier from Scotland Yard was present at the same building when the two guests arrived. Therefore, when few days later he learned that one of them died from an accident, he feels that something isn't quite right, and investigates the case.

๐Ÿ”น️Tracing the remaining survivors, Collier finds out that several of them has been died recently. Either by accident or presumably by nature. It's clear now that it's murder for money gain. Someone, apparently, is too greedy that he wants to dip into the whole inheritance at once.

๐Ÿ”น️Also involved in this case is the other guest attended the dinner, a Gerald Freyne. He's attracted to a girl called Corrina, the ward of Freyne's neighbor: Mr. Stark. When Freyne disappears one day, Inspector Collier was helped by Mr. Pakenham and Jehosaphat, his beloved cat, both of whom proved to be of hugely valuable helps in solving the case.

๐Ÿ”น️ All in all, it was a fast-pace whodunnit murder mystery spiced with a little bit of romance. Dalton wrote this in 1929, the first book of a series. Maybe due to it being the first book, the Inspector I found isn't very smart. He made a huge blunder (which no detective should ever do) that nearly caused catastrophe to one of the innocent parties. I cringed everytime he did it, like: "Don't do that!!" Moreover, old Pakenham also inspired Collier more than once during the investigation. I do hope he'll be much developing throughout the series, since I still want to read more of it!

๐Ÿ”น️Of the murderer, I could guess pretty easily, so it's not a surprise. Despite of the flawed detective, I enjoyed this mystery, especially the most critical moments in the last chapters. One more thing I do not agree is the way Dalton "off-staging" the brave cat Jehoshaphat by only mentioning casually of him in a conversation (or in the narrative?) He saved a girl’s life, no less! It's not the way one treating a hero, but you can’t dictate a writer, right?

Rating: 3,5 / 5


I'm not sure whether one might call this book a cat-theme book. There's a cat, yes, and he has a substantial role in the mystery, but he makes seldom appearance and very little stage was provided for by the writer. So, I would put this book as an honorary entry to Literary Potpourri's Reading The Meow 2023.



9 comments:

  1. Too bad the cat doesn't play a bigger role in solving the mystery. Still sounds like a fun one.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was quite fun, really! If only the Inspector was a bit smarter, and the cat made more appearances! :)

      Delete
  2. I'm glad Jesophat had some role unlike my book where the Ginger Cat of the title never made an appearance. But the mystery itself sounds like fun despite the few flaws in the Inspector's character. Thanks for adding this review to Reading the Meow, Fanda :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Ginger Cat is certainly a deceitful title!
      Thanks Mallika, for hosting Reading the Meow, I was having a lot of fun!
      And yes, this book is a good mystery. Let's hope the next ones will be much better!

      Delete
    2. I hope so too! I enjoyed all your posts this week :)

      Delete
  3. I've generally liked the Dean Street Press reissues I've read & I was wondering about the Dalton ones. Sounds good, but maybe I'll try a different author from them first.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm digging on authors I've never read before right now, so I won't read any more Dalton, for some time at least.

      Delete
  4. Another one that sounds like And Then There Were None! I'm soon going to read The Invisible Host, by Bristown and Manning, which has a similar plot - written one year after this one, so 9 years before Agatha Christie's!
    Maybe I should readthis one too, and compare the three

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Only a bit, as this one isn't a "locked room" mystery, or should I say "closed island"? :D
      I haven't read Bristown & Manning, though I've heard of them lately. Can't wait to read your review then!

      Delete

What do you think?