Wednesday, June 7, 2023

Summer by Edith Wharton: A Review



πŸ’š Charity Royall is one of just a few of Edith Wharton's heroines who didn't come from upper class society. She came from "up the Mountain" - a slum raked with poverty - but her mother gave her away to be brought up by a lawyer in a respectable house.

πŸ’š Charity grew up with these two identities pulling each other inside her. In a way, she's ashamed of her origin, and grateful of her respectable house. But she also feels of not really belonging in the Royalls' family, and longing to be independent. That's why she takes a job as the village librarian in order to fulfil her dream, though she hates the job.

πŸ’š When Lucius Harney - a handsome young architect, nephew of her boss - comes from the city, Charity is attracted to him. I think she's more attracted to the prospect of leaving her shameful past, than to Lucius himself. Or is it that she feels flattered to be loved by an educated man? Either way, Lucius is Charity's only ticket to freedom and more exciting life. The fact that Mr. Royall wants to marry her, and even made an inappropriate advance to her (ugh!) only strengthens her longing.

πŸ’š As much as I'm excited for Charity's growing intimacy with Lucius, knowing that it is a Wharton's story, I was having trepidation along the reading. Wharton's naturalism meant that most of her heroines are unable to make a life of their own. Charity and Lucius' fourth-of-July cheerful outing is so good that I feared something terrible must awaits in the next chapter(s).

πŸ’š Summer is a coming-of-age story. I'm happy with Charity's development into a matured and wiser woman. Maturity means that one can accept of one's self as it is, and thus, knowing what must have to be done and what's best for one's own.

πŸ’š I have read this book in a very wrong moment, and that's why I didn't enjoy it as much as I should've been, though I realized it as one of Wharton's finest writings. I think I might have to stay away from Naturalist authors for some time. It's not good for my depression. At this moment I only need cheerful stories with happy ending, or fast-paced stories that don't require me to feel anything.

Rating: 3,5 / 5

 

12 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear this wasn't the right book for you at the moment, and I agree, its best to stay away from things (including books) that pull one down. Hope your next read cheers you up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My next reads are the cat-theme books I've reserved for #ReadingTheMeow, so yes, they're cheering me up right now. So, thanks for hosting it, Mallika! ^_^

      Delete
  2. I read this seven years ago! And said at the end of my (brief) review "An interesting read, with some glorious pastoral descriptions but not one of my favourite Wharton’s in the end." It may not just be you!

    My suggestion (take it or leave it, I won't be upset) is Jane Austen. Great writing, fascinating characters and happy endings :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your recommendation, Brona. Yes, I'm thinking of reading Mansfield Park coming August (hopefully Austen in August is up this year!) At least I know it would have a happy ending! :))

      Delete
  3. I read this a few years ago and while I thought it was very well written I don't think I felt massively inspired by it. I picked up her The Age of Innocence last week but, like all her work, it's not cheerful so I may leave it for another time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True, her works are seldom cheerful. I've read 5 now, and every one of them isn't going to cheer anybody up. Though the writing is superb, no question on that.

      Delete
  4. I read somewhere that Wharton herself referred to this novel as 'hot Ethan'... drawing a comparison to Ethan Frome, but in a different season. It's been years since I read Summer, but I really enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Both are short and poignant, and I can feel that Wharton must have enjoyed writing both. They just need to be read at one's right stage in life and right mood, to appreciate them properly. At least, that's what I feel.

      Delete
  5. "Wharton's naturalism meant that most of her heroines are unable to make a life of their own."
    As someone who is halfway through Wharton's books, this sums her up perfectly. I think I read one book so far that has a happy ending, which was such a surprise! Still, I wouldn't recommend it to you at this time, because but took a lot of separation for them to get there. Take care of yourself, friend πŸ’πŸ’–

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Laurie, it's a pleasant surprise to see you in my blog!
      Yeah, I've read, I believe, 5 Wharton's so far, and none has a hopeful note. And I happily take your recommendation, I'll stop reading Wharton's for a while.
      Thank you for your sweet comment, Laurie, it means a lot to me! <3

      Delete
  6. Most of Wharton's books don't have cheerful endings, that's for sure. I love her writing, but Summer is not my favorite book by her. Some of her short stories are very funny, like Xingu and Roman Fever, but her novels are sad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Except Ethan Frome, I haven't read much of her novella/short stories. Should try one of your recommendations next, maybe for Novella in November!

      Delete

What do you think?