Friday, November 17, 2023

Betsy-Tacy (1940) by Maud Hart Lovelace #NovNov23




πŸ‘­ My third novella for #NovNov23 is a children semi-autobiographical novel from Maud Hart Lovelace, depicting a little girl called Betsy Ray and her best friend Tacy Kelly. This book is the first of the series, beginning when Betsy was five years old.

πŸ‘­ Betsy is an imaginative, precocious child who loves to tell stories. Unfortunately there isn't any little girl her age nearby to whom she can tell them. Therefore, when the Kellys moved in across the street one day, she's so joyful to find out that there's this thin girl of her age. Her name's Tacy - short of Anastasia - and she is bashful.

πŸ‘­ Reading this book felt like following the two little girls around doing delightful little things. Like bringing your lunch out to have a picnic under the tree, or making a playhouse out of a piano box. There're also the more playful and adventurous activities like creating multi colored sand in glass bottles, then sell them to their friends and neighbors. I loved how the elderly neighbor, not only did she bought it properly, she displayed it proudly on her drawing room. This made the girls so happy when they were 'making call' to the lady. Yes, the girls also played making calls, complete with borrowed clothing items from their mothers. Mrs. Ray even given some of her calling cards!

πŸ‘­ But it's not all. Like I've mentioned above, Betsy is imaginative. So when the girls are getting bored, they play by Betsy's imagination. An old dog cart could make them travel to big city, and a pair of feather could make them fly.

πŸ‘­ All in all, this was a lovely, playful read. The different characters of Betsy and Tacy made them perfect for each other. I loved the adults here - especially Betsy's mother. The neighbors and the schoolteacher were also amiable people who were never condescending towards the girls.

πŸ‘­ I loved also the picturesque landscape of Hill Street, which Lovelace portrayed so vividly and beautifully. I listened this story from audiobook, narrated quite nicely by Sutton Foster - at least she doesn't high-pitch her voice when the scene is excited. This is the kind of book that makes you warm and happy; not overjoyed, but like sunshine that warms you through and would make you believe that it is good to be alive anyway, despite everything else.

Rating: 4 / 5




10 comments:

  1. I read Betsy-Tacy such a long time ago, I can't remember any details. It sounds charming, though, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed, it's charming. Details of the landscape is actually more memorable for me than that of what they're doing.

      Delete
  2. Sounds pleasant and charming--I like these stories of times when children used their imagination in their games and enjoyed simpler pleasures. I have this on my list but have yet to get the book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree. I'm grateful to have my childhood without internet and social media. Hope you'll enjoy it as much as I did, when you get to read it, Mallika!

      Delete
  3. I read all the Betsy books growing up and loved them. I think I still have all of them somewhere in a box. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might read more of this, I'm in love with their charming village!

      Delete
  4. I read this years ago, too! How lovely to see it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These were always in the library when I was growing up and for some reason I wouldn't read them. I only read them as an adult, when I discovered that they are delightful! I'm glad you're enjoying them too. (Jean @ Howling Frog)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I doubt I would have found it as delightful if I've read growing up as I am now.

      Delete

What do you think?