Saturday, November 25, 2023

Six Books Saturday #4: Female Amateur Sleuths




#SixBooksSaturday
is my personal monthly bookish meme, inspired by Six Words Saturday, which I've stumbled upon @ Travel with Intent. It's basically to list six books of random category, which I'd decided on the spot. Anything is possible according to my whim. I post Six Books Saturday on last Saturday of each month. If you're interested, you are, of course, welcomed to join me. There's no rule, really. You can post six anything about books. 

Any regular reader would have noticed that lately I've been reading a lot of crime novels. Today I will share my six favorite female amateur sleuths, whose series I'd love to read through. I love them partly for their sleuthing styles, but partly, also, for their personal characters. Here they are, in no chronological order:

Six Favorite Female Amateur Sleuths

Rachel Murdoch from Rachel Murdoch Mystery by Dolores Hitchens
A smart and agile seventy years old spinster who loves sleuthing with her clever cat Samantha.
🕵️‍♀️🐈


Hildegard Withers from Hildegard Withers Mystery by Stuart Palmer
An intelligent thirty years old school teacher and a romantic spinster.
🕵️‍♀️❤

Edna May Oliver as Hildegarde Withers


Lady Hardcastle and Florence Armstrong from A Lady Hardcastle Mystery by T.E. Kinsey
The collaboration of a lady and her maid results in an unusual pair of amateur sleuth. Their dynamic relationship is part of their charm.
🕵️‍♀️🕵️‍♀️


Vera Wong from [book] Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers by Jesse Q. Sutanto
A Chinese-American elderly woman, owner of a tea house, with cheeky and affectionate personality, who uses her brilliant cooking ability as her main sleuthing tool.
🕵️‍♀️🍜


Joyce Meadowcroft from A Thursday Murder Club Mystery by Richard Osman
An elderly woman, ex nurse, witty and charming. One of the four residents of retirement village who love to solve murder mystery.
🕵️‍♀️👵


Flora Steele from Flora Steele Mystery by Merryn Allingham
A bookshop owner turns sleuth, partnering with a handsome crime writer, results in a fun bookish mystery series.
🕵️‍♀️📚


Have you read any of them? Who's your favorite female amateur sleuth?


Next Six Books Saturday: 30th December 2023.

2 comments:

  1. Fun list of amateur sleuths. I haven't read any of their books, but I do have two on my TBR list. I think my favorite amateur sleuth, besides Miss Marple, of course, would be Sarah Brandt from Victoria Thompson's Gaslight Mystery series. I also really like Marcie Rendon's character Cash Blackbear. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lark. Now I haven't read the two series you mentioned either. Will take a look on both later! :D

      Delete

What do you think?