Wednesday, November 15, 2023

Fool Errant (1929) by Patricia Wentworth




🦜 Hugo Ross would be an unlikely hero of any novel, let alone a spy novel. He's a nervous young man, stammering and blushing a lot, although quite intelligent, and gradually, proved to be courageous too. He's penniless, and when someone tipped him off that a vacancy for secretary is open in Meade House, to work for a famous inventor named Ambrose Minstrel, he did his best to secure the position by arriving in the vicinity the night before the interview. It was pitch dark that night, and all of a sudden he heard someone's running towards him, and a moment later collided with him!

🦜 It was a girl, an excited girl who tends to chattering when excited. She was running away from home, and was rushing to catch her train. Learning that he's going to work for Minstrel, she urgently warned him not too, before getting to the train and vanished; without even telling him her name.

🦜 Hugo did get the job. But no sooner than he started, strange occurrences happened - trivial and annoying, but inexplicable all the same: someone stealthily trying to open his bedroom door at night, then a man who's insisting of buying a worthless item at high price. Hugo also overheard himself mentioned as a 'mug' by Minstrel and his assistant. Puzzled, but feeling that something menacing is broiling, Hugo consulted his case with Benbow Smith, his brother-in-law's uncle, an ex-intelligent, eccentric man who lived with his parrot pet, Ananias.

🦜 Apparently Hugo had unwittingly drawn into an intriguing plot of espionage. He was designated to be the space goat when the plot succeeded, due to his apparent naive and gullible behavior. It's a huge risk to continue - he could be imprisoned or severely punished if they succeed to put the blame on him - or even if they realize that he know about them. He could just leave Meade House behind, or continue what he's been doing in order to do something for his country. And Hugo chose to go on. The enemies' ignorance of his knowledge would be his weapon - he continued to appear as gullible as possible, do whatever they ask him.

🦜 This novel proved to be a highly entertaining read! Suspenseful from the start, unlikely hero and heroine (Loveday Leigh, the girl who warns Hugo, proved to be clever and courageous too), unique unforgettable investigator with his parrot, high-paced adventures, with healthy dose of cute romance. I loved Hugo Ross and Loveday Leigh, and of course, Ananias the 🦜. Benbow Smith with his secretive aura would probably be an interesting character, but his role in this one is too minor to be noticed. Hopefully we get to see more of him in the rest of the next books. Because, of course, I want to read more from this series!

Rating: 5 / 5


For Bingo Card: Espionage/Spy


15 comments:

  1. I do love Patricia Wentworth but I found Loveday SO SO annoying!

    Mr. Smith and his parrot are entertaining, however.

    https://perfectretort.blogspot.com/2022/11/fool-errant-by-patricia-wentworth.html#more

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sorry you didn't like Loveday, but fortunately she won't come back in the series, right?
      Benbow Smith and Ananias are fun to read, indeed. Can't wait to read more of their adventures!

      Delete
  2. Patricia Wentworth mysteries are my secret vice. I read them like eating M&Ms, usually before bed. I'm fond of Hugo and Loveday too! -- Jean@Howling Frog

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to read more of Hugo and Loveday; they would make an interesting, unconventional spy-couple. Unfortunately they don't come back :(
      And I need to read the Miss Silver series too, are they better than the Benbow Smith, do you think?

      Delete
    2. Yeah, they make a tiny cameo in the next Benbow Smith book but essentially they disappear. I would say that the Smith books are a bit more fantastical, esp Down Under (just you wait, it is something else). Miss Silver is more your average English village type mystery -- gossip and life in a tiny community are common themes. OTOH there is a villain that starts in the Smith books and finishes with Miss Silver! I also enjoy the one-off adventures, which are usually a lot of fun.

      Delete
  3. I read this last year for 1929 Club and loved it, although I also found Loveday annoying! I'm looking forward to reading the rest of this series - it's still the only book I've read by Patricia Wentworth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, this is my 1st Patricia Wentworth. I haven't yet explored her Miss Silver series, but I'm still fond of this one, so I'll keep with it for the time being.
      Thanks for visiting and commenting, Helen! :)

      Delete
  4. This sounds charming! I wish my library had a copy of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll like it. Hopefully you can get a copy soon! ;)

      Delete
  5. I've never read any Patricia Wentworth novels, but have The Grey Mask on my library wishlist. I saw where you read Lorac's Murder in the Mill-Race not long ago. It was my first of hers, too, and I've now read two more. I really like her writing (and her CI Macdonald), so hope to read many more of them in the future!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kelly, thanks for stopping by! :)
      CI MacDonald is a great detective and character, isn't he? I envy you... I haven't read more of Lorac's, but plan to do it in 2024!

      Delete
  6. This sounds good fun. Glad to see the five stars too, since I have it waiting on my TBR!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll like it too, then, when you get to read it, Mallika!

      Delete
  7. I like Patricia Wentwort a lot, but I haven't read any of the Benbow Smith ones. Sounds fun! I think I've got a Dean Street Press Wentworth I've been saving for December.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yay for having you at Dean Street December too!
      This was my 1st Wentworth, I need to explore the Miss Silver ones after this.

      Delete

What do you think?