Thursday, April 18, 2024

The Classics Club Spin #37




I am almost completing my annual task of tax reporting at work, and I think I deserve some excitement, that is…. The Classics Club Spin! I will allow the Spin to decide which book I will read for May. But first…

What is Classics Spin?
It’s easy. At your blog, before next Sunday 21st April, 2024 create a post that lists twenty books of your choice that remain “to be read” on your Classics Club list. This is your Spin List. You have to read one of these twenty books by the end of the spin period. On Sunday 21th, April we’ll post a number from 1 through 20. The challenge is to read whatever book falls under that number on your Spin List by the 2nd June, 2024.

My list:

--UPDATE: I'll be reading: Cold Comfort Farm-- 


  1. A Room with a View (E.M. Forster) – DNF several years ago, just because I was not 1n the right mood.
  2. Frenchman’s Creek (Daphne du Maurier) – planning to read for Daphne du Maurier Reading Week (if happening).
  3. Lucy Gayheart (Willa Cather) – I used to do a personal Willa Cather reading month, and been meaning to start again this year.
  4. The Cornish Coast Murder (John Bude) – planning to read for A Century of Books, year 1935.
  5. Queen Lucia (E.F. Benson)
  6. Cranford (Elizabeth Gaskell)
  7. The Duchess of Bloomsbury Street (Helene Hanff)
  8. Cold Comfort Farm (Stella Gibbons)
  9. Stormy, Misty’s Foal (Marguerite Henry)
  10. The Enchanted Barn (Grace Livingston Hill)
  11. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler (E.L. Konigsburg)
  12. Cider with Rosie (Laurie Lee)
  13. Miss Marjoribanks (Mrs. Oliphant)
  14. Excellent Women (Barbara Pym)
  15. The Nine Tailors (Dorothy L. Sayer)
  16. Rhododendron Pie (Margery Sharp)
  17. The Black Arrow (Robert Louis Stevenson)
  18. The Reef (Edith Wharton)
  19. A Woman of No Importance (Oscar Wilde)
  20. Maltese Falcon (Dashiel Hammet)

Spot a favorite or two? Which ones do you hope the Spin pick for me? I’m hoping for no. 2 and 4, but any book will be nice!

3 comments:

  1. Oh, my favorite on this lists is From the Mixed-Up Files - I love this book! I read this Marguerite Henry books when I was 7 and still trying to grasp the concept of chapter books,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Now you made me wanting to read From the Mixed-Up Files--
      I guess I'll read it anyway this year regardless of the outcome.

      Delete
  2. You have so many of my favorite books on your list! I agree that the Mixed-Up Files is a fun one. I also really liked Lucy Gayheart, The Reef, Cold Comfort Farm, Queen Lucia, Cranford, Excellent Women and Miss Marjoribanks. A Room With a View is also one I love...so I hope you give it another chance someday. Happy spinning. :D

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?