Tuesday, March 21, 2023

Top Ten Tuesday: One-Word Reviews for the Last 10 Books I Read


Top Ten Tuesday is a weekly meme hosted by That Artsy Reader Girl, and this week's prompt is... Rewind (Pick a previous topic that you missed or would like to re-do/update). I picked the May 2022 topic I haven't done before but found very interesting and quite tricky:


One-Word Reviews for the Last 10 Books I Read

This year I've read nine books and three short stories, so here are one-word reviews of all the nine books plus one of the short stories - I tried to not double-use the words, but choose the most appropriate one to represent each book/story. Follow the links to read my original reviews.


The Woodlanders by Thomas Hardy:
gloomy

Dandelion Wine by Ray Bradbury:
summer

Sad Cypress by Agatha Christie:
melancholy

Little House in the Big Woods by Laura Ingalls Wilder:
cozy

Jane of Lantern Hill by L.M. Montgomery:
jolly

bitter

The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim:
blissful

Rural Hours by Susan Fenimore Cooper (not yet reviewed):
nature

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (not yet reviewed):
rustic

Jack-a-Boy by Willa Cather (short story):
affectionate


Have you read those books? What one-word would you use to describe them?

 

24 comments:

  1. Nice! I have not read Jane of Lantern Hill yet, but I do love Montgomery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love Jane of Lantern Hill more than Anne of Green Gables. :)

      Delete
  2. You have many of my favorites on this list, especially All Creatures Great and Small and the Little House book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are my favorites too. I've been meaning to read through the series.

      Delete
  3. I've read The Woodlanders! I agree with your word.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Most of Hardy's are rather gloomy, aren't they? LOL

      Delete
  4. This was one of my favorite TTT's the first time we did it. And your adjectives for these books are so great. Especially gloomy for Thomas Hardy and blissful for Enchanted April. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's certainly challenging!
      Glad you're agree with Woodlanders and Enchanted April! ;)

      Delete
  5. I'd definitely second cozy for "Little House". That book is why I actively look for country property and doodle cabin plans..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, that's fantastic, Stephen! May your wish come true! 😉

      Delete
  6. One word descriptions/reviews are TOUGH! A fun list.
    Terrie @ Bookshelf Journeys
    https://www.bookshelfjourneys.com/post/ttt-series-to-finish

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love when people do one word reviews! I find it fascinating which word people will choose. I love "melancholy". What a great choice!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree! Two people would hardly choose the same word for the same book.

      Delete
  8. Fun topic! Cozy is perfect for Little House as well as Blissful for Enchanted April. Here is our Top Ten Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cozy and blissful. No wonder many people love them! 😉

      Delete
    2. By the way, I clicked your link, but apparently your site has limited access or so; I can't get through.

      Delete
  9. One word reviews are hard. Good job on these!

    My post: https://lydiaschoch.com/top-ten-tuesday-bookish-things-ive-quit-doing/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't read Sad Cypress yet, but I love Christie.

    Pam @ Read! Bake! Create!
    https://readbakecreate.com/favorite-historical-fiction-the-1960s-1970s/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sad Cypress is worth reading, if only for its unusual (for Christie's) court scene.

      Delete
  11. One word reviews are hard! My dad used to read me the James Herriot books when I was a kid and I absolutely loved them :)
    My TTT: https://jjbookblog.wordpress.com/2023/03/21/top-ten-tuesday-412/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It must be a wonderful memory! I lovd that book too.

      Delete
  12. I love this idea and definitely intrigued by the one described as blissful.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?