Monday, March 13, 2023

Blogger-Inspired Wishlist Ep. 3: Very Random Selections



Blogger-Inspired Wishlist is a feature where I post recent additions to my wish list, which had been inspired by reviews from my fellow bloggers. It includes some synopsis, as well as some excerpts of the review which have intrigued me, complete with a link to the blogger's original post.

For this 3rd episode I've collected five interesting books from a wide range of genres, from fiction to non fiction, contemporary to classic.

The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere by Pico Iyer



Synopsis:
The Art of Stillness considers the unexpected adventure of staying put and reveals a counterintuitive truth: The more ways we have to connect, the more we seem desperate to unplug. Iyer also draws on his own experiences as a travel writer to explore why advances in technology are making us more likely to retreat.

From Robin's review:
"This little volume on “going nowhere,” really spoke to me right now. The Art of Stillness: Adventures in Going Nowhere, caught my eye and turned out to be a real treasure for me because it is about being present in the NOW of our lives. I found that it was packed with wisdom and much needed perspective on what is really important in life."

🔹️It seems a perfect book I might need right now!



The Lilies of the Field by William E Barrett
Inspired by: Hamlette @ The Edge of the Precipice



Synopsis:
One of the most beloved of modern classics returns with a beautiful new cover. The enchanting story of two unlikely friends, a black ex-GI and the head of a group of German nuns, The Lilies of the Field tells the story of their impossible dream--to build a chapel in the desert.

From Hamlette's review:
"Wow.  I mean, wow.  This book is going to end up on my top favorite new reads of 2023 list. book is warm and sweet and good-humored and funny."

🔹️ It sounds like a good-humored but touching at the same time – can’t wait to read it!



The Willows in Winter by Duncton Wood
Inspired by: Cath @ Read-warbler



Synopsis:
Now, in an act of homage and celebration, William Horwood has brought to life once more the four most-loved characters in English literature: the loyal Mole, the resourceful Water Rat, the stern but wise Badger, and, of course, the exasperating, irresistible Toad. The result is an enchanting, unforgettable new novel, enlivened by delightful illustrations, in which William Horwood has recaptured all the joy, magic, and good humor of Grahame's great work - and Toad is still as exasperatingly lovable as he ever was.

From Cath's review:
"William Horwood is the author of the Duncton Wood series of books but he also wrote four sequels to The Wind in the Willows. This is the first of them, The Willows in Winter"

🔹️I didn't know there are sequels to The Wind in the Willows, it's a pleasant surprise!



Mrs Van Gogh by Caroline Cauchi

Synopsis:
She’s been painted out of history…until now. In 1890, Vincent Van Gogh dies penniless, unknown, a man tortured by his own mind. Eleven years later his work is exhibited in Paris and his unparalleled talent finally recognised. The tireless efforts of one woman gave the world one of its greatest creative minds. But twenty-eight year old Johanna Van Gogh-Bonger, Vincent’s sister-in-law and the keeper of his immense collection of paintings, sketches and letters, has, until now, been written out of history. This beautiful, moving novel finally gives this extraordinary woman a voice…

From Stephanie's review:
"Mrs Van Gogh is a beautifully written historical fiction novel which allowed me to really feel as though I were immersed in Montmartre life in the 1880s and 1890s. The Parisian streets, cafés and clubs leap vividly from the page and I loved spending time with Johanna, her brother, and the Van Gogh brothers too. As historical fiction I found it to be an entertaining read."

🔹️ It's been a while since my last read of a proper historical fiction. And this one is about Van Gogh's universe too - irresistible!



The Cat Who Saved Books by Sosuke Natsukawa

Synopsis:
Natsuki Books was a tiny second-hand bookshop on the edge of town. Rintaro Natsuki loved this space that his grandfather had created. He spent many happy hours there, reading whatever he liked. It was the perfect refuge for a boy who tended to be something of a recluse. After the death of his grandfather, Rintaro is devastated and alone. It seems he will have to close the shop. Then, a talking tabby cat called Tiger appears and asks Rintaro for help. The cat needs a book lover to join him on a mission. This odd couple will go on three magical adventures to save books from people who have imprisoned, mistreated and betrayed them.

From Lark's review:
"This is a quirky and enchanting little book. But what's at the heart of this bookish novel is the idea that books truly are more than mere words on paper and are therefore very much worth saving. And I completely agree."

🔹️This looks like a charming Japanese novel; books and cat are never be wrong! 😉


That's all for this episode, have you read any of those?
See you on next episode! (I have gathered quite a few interesting books... so, hopefully it won't be long!)

 

7 comments:

  1. I have only started The Willows in Winter, but I did not finish it. I think I was not expecting myself to read it, but I borrowed it from the library to see what it was about. I mean to one day sit down and actually read it bc I loved Wind in the Willows so much.

    All of these others look interesting, too, esp the first one about stillness bc that is what I long for and I'm so far from it. :( I dislike technology and believe it has complicated everything and makes more work that takes longer. Not everything is this way, I know. But tech is not natural, for sure. Man is always searching for peace and stillness...but tech is only exasperating life.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agree with technology. Some of them really help, like electricity and vehicles, for example, but some of them take away the meaningful aspect of human being. Like internet and social media - especially social media. I can accept internet, as it helps a lot in my job, but I can live without social media. Blogging is much more rewarding than Facebook or Instagram.

      Delete
  2. Hope you enjoy reading The Cat Who Saved Books! I thought it was a quirk and fun little novel. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very cool selections! I have just requested The Cat Who Saved Books from my library, thanks to this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That book is quite interesting, right? Enjoy it! ;)

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. It looks like a precious little book, does it not?
      And I'm glad that my post also provides some sort of book recommendation to others - that's the power of book-blogging! ;)

      Delete

What do you think?