Friday, March 31, 2023

March Wrap Up, and Welcoming the Enchanting April!

Couch on the Porch, Cos Cob, Frederick Childe Hassam, 1914


πŸ“š Books Read in March

Rural Hours by Susan Fenimore Cooper (started in January)
A surprisingly comforting journal!
Read from: e-book

All Creatures Great and Small by James Herriot (unreviewed yet)
One of those non-fiction-reads-as-fiction books.
Read from: e-book

Jack-a-Boy by Willa Cather (short story)
A heartwarming story of a sweet boy.
Read from: e-book


πŸ“š Started but unfinished yet

* The Ladies' Paradise by Γ‰mile Zola (audiobook) - a re-read, preparing for Zoladdiction 2023 in April

* The Stone of Chastity by Margery Sharp (e-book) - preparing for the 1940 Club week.


πŸ“š 2023 Statistics

πŸ“Š Total books read so far: 8
πŸ“Š Total short stories read so far: 3
πŸ“Š Challenge progress:
* 2023 TBR Pile Challenge: 4
* 2023 Victorian Reading Challenge: 2
* 2023 Audiobook Challenge: 3


πŸ“š What's happening in April

πŸ”Έ️Zoladdiction 2023 (hosted by me) - sign up & info



Books to read & review:
- The Ladies' Paradise (reread)
- Doctor Pascal


πŸ”Έ️The 1940 Club (hosted by Stuck in a Book & Kaggy's Bookish Ramblings) - announcement



Books to read & review:
- The Stone of Chastity by Margery Sharp
- Pigeon Pie by Nancy Mitford


πŸ”Έ️ Will be re-reading N or M? by Agatha Christie - listening from audiobook

πŸ”Έ️ Will start Agatha Christie: An Autobiography, right after N or M? - also from audiobook.


How was your March readings? And what awaits you in April?

 

6 comments:

  1. Glad you can join in with 1940 - look forward to your thoughts!! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Karen, for co-hosing it! I'm currently enjoying Pigeon Pie very much!

      Delete
  2. I like Willa Cather but haven't read Jack a Boy - I like the title, though! Still considering Zola for April. I have a copy of The Masterpiece, so maybe I will read that, but it does sound rather grim. I just decided today to participate in the 1940 Club this round, and picked Nevil Shute's An Old Captivity. Happy April 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jack a Boy was really a treat!
      Ah, I sort of liked The Masterpiece - yes, of course it's rather bleak, aren't most of his? I think The Ladies' Paradise is the only Zola that you can label as "cheerful". I hope you'll enjoy it still, perhaps the dynamic relationship between Zola and Cezanne which was reflected from the story, if not the story itself?
      I'm glad you're joining 1940 Club, Jane! Can't wait to read your posts.

      Delete
  3. Agatha Christie: An Autobiography is my favourite autobiography, so much to love about it. I had a good reading month in March, enjoying all but one of my 7 books. I'll be doing the 1940s club too, I might read The Provincial Lady in Wartime, A Scream in Soho by John Brandon or Bleeding Hooks by Harriet Rutland. I don't think I'll be able to fit in all three!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you love An Autobiography, Cath! I'm no real fan of autobiographies, but it's Christie, so I'm counting on her beloved crisp and witty writing style (and now on your reference too!) Now I can't wait to read it!
      Yay that you're joining 1940 Club too! I haven't read The Provincial Lady in Wartime, but it seems interesting. ;)

      Delete

What do you think?