Tuesday, August 20, 2024

#MustGetMonday: Vera Wong's Guide to Dating a Dead Man




I first saw this comparatively new meme from Davida @ The Chocolate Lady's Boom Review Blog. But the creator of Must Get Monday is Becca @ The Becca's Files.

The purpose of Must Get Monday is to spotlight some of those books you simply CAN’T WAIT to get your hands on… but might have to if you’re waiting for them to release.

The book I'm featuring today is the sequel of a cozy mystery I have read and loved last year: Vera Wong's Unsolicited Advice for Murderers by Jesse Q. Sutanto. I've been hoping for a sequel, and the other day I saw this exciting news from the author's IG while browsing my IG feed:



VERA WONG'S GUIDE TO DATING A DEAD MAN



Blurb:

Put the kettle on, there’s a mystery brewing…Tea-shop owner. Matchmaker. Detective?

Vera Wong, tea house owner and occasional sleuth should feel content. Her son Tilly has moved in with his girlfriend, and the shop has been inundated with customers.

But Vera can’t help feeling a little… bored. Sometimes, all an old lady wants is a murder to solve. Is that too much to ask for?

Then Vera comes across a distressed young woman called Millie, whose friend Xander has gone missing. Is this Vera's chance to get out her trusty notebook and solve another mystery?


Do you know that Warner Bros. TV has just acquired the 1st book rights, with Oprah Winfrey's and Mindy Kaling's production houses to produce a TV series? I wonder who would play Vera Wong! She's a Chinese elderly woman who lives in America, and the owner of a tea shop. A dead body was found one day inside her tea shop, and that's how she began her amateur sleuthing. Sutanto's depiction of Vera Wong's character felt genuine. It's no wonder, because later on I learned that Vera Wong was actually inspired by Sutanto's own mother - a Chindo (Chinese-Indonesian). And Vera Wong is really a typical warm and affectionate Asian mother that you'd miss a lot after several months.

This second book will be published in April, 2025, so now I just have to wait patiently... :)

Have you read the first book?
Do you have book(s) you just can't wait to get into?

2 comments:

  1. Both books sound wonderful, and a TV series with Mindy Kaling involved is bound to be terrific. I haven't heard of these books, but they're going on my own must-get list! The premise reminds me a bit of the Thursday Murder Club books, of which I am a devoted fan.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm also a fan of Thursday Murder Club books! So if you can imagine a Chinese younger version of Joyce, that's Vera Wong. But this series is much lighter and funny. Hope you'll love it too, Jane!

      Delete

What do you think?