Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Back to the Classics Challenge 2014



I have been participating in this challenge since 2012, and for two years have been enjoying it. But when Sarah—who has been hosted this challenge for two years—said that she would not continue it for 2014, I was quite disappointed. Fortunately….Karen from Books and Chocolate decided to adopt the challenge and host it for 2014, yayyy! Thanks for bringing back the fun, Karen! 

So, I’m so glad to announce that I will be participating again in the Back to the Classics Challenge 2014. It comes with similar concept as before, with only one slight change. Karen strictly limited the classic definition as a book that was published at least 50 years ago. Here are my choices:

Required:

  • A 20th Century Classic: Of Human Bondage by W. Somerset Maugham
  • A 19th Century Classic: Nana by Émile Zola
  • A Classic by a Woman Author: House of Mirth by Edith Wharton
  • A Classic in Translation: Don Quixote by Miguel de Cervantes
  • A Wartime Classic: The Last of the Mohicans by James Fenimore Cooper 
  • A Classic by an Author Who Is New To You: The Prince by Niccolò Machiavelli


Optional Categories:

For the optionals, I only picked these three categories (of five), as the other two do not fit my reading schedule for 2014.

  • An American Classic: Tender is The Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
  • A Classic That's Been Adapted Into a Movie or TV Series: Greyfriars Bobby by Eleanor Atkinson
  • Extra Fun Category:  Write a Review of the Movie or TV Series adapted from Optional Category #4: Greyfriars Bobby : The True Story of a Dog (1961)


Would you join too? You can sign up here.


10 comments:

  1. Sounds like you chose some good ones! :) I've wanted to read Last of the Mohicans for a while now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Actually I've just realized that Last of the Mohicans is about war, after my friend swapped her copy with me. So I think I would be a good chance to read it for this challenge. Would you join the challenge too, by the way?

      Delete
    2. You know, I think I will, especially since it allows for overlap with other challenges. :) Also, the categories are intriguing!

      Delete
  2. I am so glad the Challenge will continue! You've got great choices - now I've got to think about mine! Even if I can't host it anymore, I can still play along!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I'm glad that Karen took it over from you, Sarah, it's been a great challenge.
      I can't wait to see yours! ;)

      Delete
  3. I can't wait to read your post after you read Of Human Bondage. You're in for a treat with The House of Mirth. Glad to see you've joined in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! I'm excited too with Of Human Bondage. And I just realized that it's quite a chunskter book, only after my copy arrived!

      Delete
  4. Oh, I'm so glad you've signed up -- and I knew you'd have Zola on your list!! I still haven't read Nana so I'll probably read it last year (I just finished La Terre today, it was amazing!). And I agree with Cleopatra, I loved both House of Mirth and Of Human Bondage, they're both wonderful. Can't wait to read all your posts!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Karen for taking over this challenge! And how you know me so wel, LOL!
      You meant you'll read Nana NEXT year?
      House of Mirth is really seducing, I haven't got chance to read it this year, so..I can't wait to read it next year.

      Delete
    2. Oops, of course I meant NEXT year. Maybe The Debacle as well.

      Delete

What do you think?