Tuesday, December 10, 2013

My Favorite Classic: The Classics Club’s December Meme


It’s been months since my last meme for The Classics Club, and I don’t have any other reason except “I don’t have time”. But this month’s meme is so easy that I am slipping several minutes to write the post. Actually it is a rewind of last year’s meme (August 2012).

What is your favorite classic book?

Back then I have posted 4 favorites, one of them is from Zola (L’Assommoir). This year I think I can make up my mind more easily to pick my all time Most Favorite Classic. It goes to….


Germinal by Emile Zola



Zola is so far my most favorite classics author, and Germinal is considered his masterpiece. I haven’t read all of Zola’s books, but Germinal can be called as a book that fulfill all my desire in a classic book. The writing, the topic, the characters, the conflict, the drama, the actions. You can get them all in Germinal. And….it’s so ‘Zola’ (you won't understand before you read Zola!). I just can’t wait to reread this book!


10 comments:

  1. I'm reading through Zola's Rougon-Macquart series right now. I'm on book 2 and Germinal is 16 (Zola's recommended order), so there are only 14 more books to go before I can enjoy this classic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha....I think it will pay you good, just save the best for last, eh? ;)
      By the way, I'm going to host a Zola reading event on April, hopefully you can join us to read Zola the whole month!

      Delete
    2. Oooo, sounds like fun! I'm looking forward to it!

      Delete
  2. hi....I don't know yet about Zola's book,,,but it's sound nice,,I think I must read it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Aliya...'Nice' might not suit Zola's, I think it's either you'd like it or hate it. But, it's worth to try!

      Delete
  3. Germinal is the nearest I can get to picking my favourite, too! I have such affection for this book :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm half way through Germinal - but it's on my epad, and I don't enjoy reading the screen as much as a real book, so even though I'm enjoying it, it keeps falling into last place when it comes to time read :-(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Germinal deserves to be collected in paperback in the end...., you'll see! ;)

      Delete
  5. I guess someday I will have to try Zola out, but if there's anything that makes me nervous, it's French literature...

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?