Thursday, January 24, 2013

Ralph Touchett in The Portrait of A Lady


Ralph might not be a perfect partner for most women. Although he was wealthy enough to live comfortably without working, Ralph has been suffering from acute pulmonary disease. But apart from that, Ralph could have been favorite suitor for young women. He was kind, intelligent, energetic (before the disease took over him), with good sense of humor and good taste of art. He was a perfect English gentleman, though he was born from an American father. Ralph has worked diligently before he was forced to stay at home by his illness.

From his first introduction to Isabel Archer—his cousin—Ralph had fallen in love with her. But, fully realized that he won’t be a perfect husband for Isabel and could hardly won the pretty young lady’s heart, Ralph retreated from her suitors group, and only treated Isabel as her cousin. From the beginning I saw that Ralph was the only man who could really understand Isabel’s unique characters. Ralph knew her passion, what she wanted in life.



When her other suitors were busy shoving their wealth and advantages to the young woman—you’re going to be a lady; we’ll stay in a big house; not enough? You’re free to go around the world if that’s what you want, etc—Ralph already knew that Isabel loved the freedom to live her life in her own way. Without much talking, he secretly arranged with his dying father to alter the will by transferring a huge part of Ralph’s inheritance to Isabel. Ralph had done this knowing that he won’t get even a ‘thank you’ from Isabel, let alone her love.

Ralph on his dying bed

Later on when Isabel had married Osmond and having an unhappy marriage but kept it closely from her friends and relatives, Ralph knew it and never forced Isabel to ‘open her mask’. But what amazed me was that Ralph could survive longer than he was supposed to, because he loved Isabel and he wanted to see how she will do in her future. How love brings life!

If I must choose between male characters in Isabel’s life: Lord Warburton, Caspar Goodwood, Gilbert Osmond, and Ralph Touchett…I’ll choose Ralph, simply because his love was true.


10 comments:

  1. I couldn't see the linky (again) :(
    This is my CT for today http://bacaanbzee.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/character-thursday-27/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ya, me neither.
    Here's the link to my CT

    http://lustandcoffee.wordpress.com/2013/01/24/character-thursday-3-the-madmans-daughter/

    ReplyDelete
  3. sorry it's late, this holiday always full with surprising unexpected schedule, here is my link post : http://my-classic-books.blogspot.com/2013/01/my-charcter-thursday-12-abigail-williams.html
    Now, comment on your post, I think he just a lovely man, but side from his kind-heart and sickness, is he an attractive man? like charming or just plain good-man ? Your reads e-book version? I want to read this to as my 1001 project in this year, can you give me a copy ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ralph isn't a charming man, I think. He's a kind of man with whom you'd feel comfortable to talk to, he's smart and witty, and--like you said--kind.

      I read paperback, Maria, if you want to read it, I can lend you.

      Delete
  4. Here is my somewhat late Character Thursday:
    http://readingduringintermission.blogspot.com/2013/01/character-thursday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Patricia for participating. I have put your link in the linky, sorry I was absent yesterday.

      Delete
  5. @Bzee, Keke: Sorry guys, I forgot to put the linky, and unfortunately I wasn't online the whole day yesterday -__-" Your links are already in the linky now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read this novel last year and sincerely agree with your character analysis of Ralph. I was rather sorry he and Isabel didn't get together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, me too. I think women like Isabel need liberal thinking husbands like Ralph.

      Delete
  7. Ralph touchett is the most adorable character in the novel. He is rich in everything unfortunately except in health.He is intelligent,amazingly generous and selfless, understanding and most of all he loves everyone around him. There's no other man better than Ralph for Isabel even though the story has made it impossible for them to get married due to his illness. Nevertheless nothing stopped them loving each other atleast as cousins. In my point of view, Ralph is the most perfect person as a lover, not only for Isabel, but to any other girl, and it's not a surprise that even the reader can fall in love with him, to be so sad at his death.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?